OK, I can't put it off any more

Matt Harwood

Guest De Soto Frank

Matt,

Agree with West on going with an "historic" tread pattern.

As to whether or not you go black or WWW, we have enough historical evidence in the Photo & Video Dept of cars being outfitted with WWW tires back to the early 1920's (granted most of these were double-sided WWW), so I think it is a matter of personal choice.

I think the Black-sidewalls look great with the wire-wheels, but black discs + black sidewalls + black fenders & aprons is a lot of black for my taste....

I don't envy you having to make such an expensive decision... I'm wrangling with tire / wheel color decision for my very modest Model A coupe... ( I know what the "Fordies" say - all black - but I'm not likin' it... :o )

No matter which way you go, you will have a stunning car !

:cool:

With the nicely detailed wheels, chrome lock rings and hubcaps, and pinstriping, it actually looks much more elegant with black tires, in my opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with you, preferring the blackwalls with those beautiful disc wheels. The blackwalls seem to exude a more stately appearance, whereas the whites hit you with an immediate WOW factor.

I can understand his enthusiasm in always wanting to own a WOW-vehicle wearing WWW's though. :)

IMO, if one wants to use blackwalls on ANY car, they must be treated with a good preservative/tire dressing to keep the black, well, BLACK! Nothing destroys the stately image of blackwalls worse than having them appear a weathered, dull brown.

Guest De Soto Frank

IMO, if one wants to use blackwalls on ANY car, they must be treated with a good preservative/tire dressing to keep the black, well, BLACK! Nothing destroys the stately image of blackwalls worse than having them appear a weathered, dull brown.

Good point !

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my overdrive from Lloyd yesterday. The workmanship is very nice, the welds between the original torque tube and new collars were tidy, and it turns smoothly. I'm not expecting any problems. We'll find out next week after we have the car back together. Here are some photos:

Before:

5552-dscn3795.jpg

After:

5554-dscn3804.jpg

5556-dscn3807.jpg

5555-dscn3806.jpg

Price was about $2300 including the installation on the torque tube. I'll get it reinstalled in the car and do the wiring myself once the driveline is back together.

The transmission is still an issue. They have it torn apart, and there are definitely some worn gears inside and it's obvious that someone who didn't know what they were doing was in there trying to adjust things. The "dog" that engages the sliding gears has notable wear, and there seems to be a problem with the 2nd gear cluster. We'll see if we can find replacements--any suggestions?

My mechanic is also curious about how to adjust the transmission once it's all back together, so any advice in that department is much appreciated. Ed, I'll definitely be giving you a call in the next few days.

No problem, sounds like some tractor repairman has caused you quite a bit of grief. It would have been an easy fix if they knew what they were doing. Send photos of the trans if possible to my email address as listed in CCCA. Ed

You have mail, Ed. I created an album with the photos of the transmission bits at http://forums.aaca.org/members/matt-harwood/albums/1929-cadillac-transmission/

Any and all advice is very welcome--even my mechanic isn't too proud to say he appreciates input.

Thanks!

By the way, as far as white walls go, Cadillac still has the factory build sheet available, it was 35 dollars years ago, but now it must be up to 100. Just order it and you will see tire size and white wall, as well as all the other options for the car. I bet it came with them. I have photos of a 5 pass sedan with no options on it at all but Double Sided wide whites. It was published about 10 years ago in the CCCA Classic Car magazine. Ed

Matt,

I love your car -- congratulations on being her conservator.

As you may know, we have Buicks, Cadillacs and a Packard - love them all - keep the wide-whites, they look great on your car, just as West's car looks great with the blackwalls.

I also agree that none of us knows what tomorrow will bring -- I'll be 69 years of age by Hershey-time, and made the decision to "have dessert first" - changed careers so as not to be on-call 24/7, and to take a week here and there with my wife and family.

PS: Lloyd has enhanced 3 cars for us in the past

ENJOY !!

post-54863-143138529332_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313852935_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138529352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)