1963 jaguar help

Guest angeld

Guest angeld

i need help identifying my 1963 jaguar i just bought all i manage to find is the serial number (p1b77617bw) engine number(7b56431-9) if anybody could tell me anything else about my car it would be greatly appreciated or at least somewhere i can find out more about my car

Guest grumpydad

Hi

I am in england so if you get stuck for parts let me know

and i can probley help

I have a 1939 caddy and try to use Ebay usa but find most pople wont

ship to the UK and it might be the same for you

you could get stuff shippe to me and i would forward for you

Angel

Inquiring minds might want to know why you purchased a car that you knew nothing about, but that's a personal matter.

What John was alluding to is that unless this car has a lot of sentimental value to you, it would make much more economical sense to buy a similar car already restored then to try and resurrect this one... even if the pictured car was given to you for free.

Or, if you're out to have fun and are interested in restoring cars on your own, that's another matter, and welcome to the club. Restoring cars can give one a lot of satisfaction. Be forewarned, though, that even if you do the work yourself, parts and materials can also take you beyond the actual value of the car.

Guest angeld

well ive been working on cars my since i was 10 and ive restored quite a bit of cars with my father and this would actually not that hard for me but im looking forward to do this car as my first car by myself i restore and was also wondering how much i could get for it if when sold

That will depend entirely on the quality of work and how authentic you take the restoration. If you use nothing but proper materials, parts, quality plating, etc., it is highly likely it will cost more to restore than what you'd be able to sell it for. As I said above, even if you do the work yourself.

I don't want to discourage you from restoring it, but if you're doing it only to make money, you've got a tough row to hoe.

Really, really nice ones, perhaps as much as $25,000-30,000. Nice ones where no one except Jag experts could detect anything wrong with it, perhaps in the $15,000-20,000 range.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Others may feel differently. The deciding factor is in the quality of the restoration.

Angel,

Take a look at my list of cars. Three Buicks and a Jaguar. That is a very good ratio for happy motoring. You can always drive one of the Buicks.

I recently bought a 1995 Buick Riviera, just because I ain't quite right. I have put about 1,000 miles on it and yesterday we did a grueling 120 miles ride over unpaved roads in New York's Southern Tier. At dinner I told my wife "You know if that was a 1995 Jaguar we would have been towed home at least once."

My 1953 Jaguar is my fourth Jag. It is a restoration project that may never be done. They are expensive cars to restore and hard to sell. The '60's S type is probably one of the lower choices on the Jaguar desirable list.

My bet is that you will disassemble that Jag and find out there at roughly 300 $100 jobs in the reassembly; I can make that list.

The real problem is that your first "cheap" Jaguar makes you really uncomfortable when you sell it and don't have one. It is an incredibly helpless feeling. And it is too late for you now, you bought the first one.

If you are good you will clean that car just the way it is and flip it on Craigslist. Save the money until you see a Jaguar under motion driving down the street, chase the owner down and buy it. I guarantee you buying a running one will minimize a problems of ownership.

Remember I'm the guy who told you what it was. Prices? I would say $8,000 to $12,000 for an S type. Check Ebay "completed sales". There is a check box for it.

If you're looking to restore this car and turn a profit, you may be disappointed. I don't know what your skill level is. Only you can accurately judge yourself. Helping your dad fix up a few old cars and doing a body off restoration are worlds apart from one another. Is the plan to do a correct restoration or a Desert Kings half assed slop job? Restoring a Jag like this is not for the faint of heart. Parts can be difficult to find and fiendishly expensive. A proper engine overhaul and detailing will run you into the 5 figure territory. What shape is the interior. A correct interior will break the bank as well. All that Connoly hide and Wilton wool doesn't come cheap and you will not find it at Happy Jack's Jiffy Seat Covers. You'll need a pro. Then there is the interior wood. What shape is it in? The wheels look like they need to be replaced. Five new ones will set you back over 2 grand with new knockoffs. You still need tire and tubes. Body and paint? 10 grand. You can't go to Maaco for a quicky mud and generic color if you're doing a proper, body off, job.

I think you see where this is going.

To answer your question, a very nicely restored Jag like yours, that can enter a show and take home a trophy or two, might go for 35K on a very good day. Nice drivers seem to go in the 20K range

Guest angeld

well to be more specific on my skill lvl im no amature but im not a pro yet im about above average although i may only be 22, but i do have experiance in restoring old cars. the oldest car i have done would have to be a 1947 lincoln cosmopoliton i restored with my father. also i can paint full car with minimum defect and anyhow most defects in the clear can be clean up or buffed out. the only thing i am not good at is engine work but my father is really good at engines. like i said i have about 10 years experiance at bodywork and painting. :) i really do appreciate all the help guys and tips im recieving

thanks everyone.

I was watching an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" last night and they had a beautiful S type Jag that they put in the classic car auctions.

The guy put it in with no reserve and expected to get around the 25,000 mark but it sold for only $15,000. It would be enough to make you cry tears of blood. I think the paint job alone would be worth half of that.

You say you restored a 47 Lincoln Cosmopolitan. I think you mean Continental unless it was a 49 (first year for a Cosmo). That may seem trivial but you need to research these things before you start in with a full blown restoration. You also don't allow for minimum defects in your work. you find out how to do it right the first time.

Guest angeld

oh yea i will post pictures and update on how i did and and where i got the supplies and how i saved money my goal is to do the least expensive way with the best job quality possible, for those of you that might be interested and hopefully help a person or two. but this will be my first car i do by myself and will try hard to make it come as perfect as possible. ill try to post update pics of it every month.

Guest angeld

well as you know even the pros have flaws some times nobody is perfect but all you can do is try your hardest and like i stated before im no amatuer but neither am i a pro. "oh and sorry about the 47 typo"

Guest angeld

thank you im actually quite anxious to do this im going to start on it this upcomming weekend with the taking it apart and body work.