Fisher Body Option Code Question - Door Edge Guards

JZRIV

As we know the Fisher tags had codes for options that required them to make some sort of modification to prep the body for a specific option that would be added on the Buick assembly line such as mounting requirements for a bucket or bench seat or holes punched in the fenders for a GS emblem.

On a 66 Riv, In the group 5 codes, the letter K indicates "Door Edge Guard Moldings". These are the thin stainless strips that press onto the edge of the door and would seem to need no modification for installation.

Since the moldings would be installed after paint on the assembly line, why would an option code be needed for them when they just press into place? I kept thinking there must be an obvious answer but fail to think what it is. Could it be some minor inconspicuous crimp in the metal to help hold the molding on?

Didn't think about the gap. Were the doors even on prior to the body shell being shipped out?

I realized in my first post that holes in a fender for a GS emblem is not an accurate example because there is no option data plate code for 66 Riv GS probably because no modification was needed on the main body shell for a GS vs non GS

While the door edge guards could be ordered from the factory, I suspect that most were "dealer-installed accessories". I suspect the code Roberta mentioned would be on the "Build Sheet" rather than on the Fisher Body plate . . . just my gut suspicion.

Typically, when door edge guards were popular accessories, with the intent to keep paint chips from happening on the door shell rear edge, no body typically was concerned that for the guards to fit well, they would usually scrape paint off of the door at the time of installation. But this would be hidden by the guard itself.

Some were plain stainless whereas some later ones were clear-plastic-coated stainless. The former would scrape the paint whereas the latter would just slip on with little paint damage. There were some aftermarket versions which were stick-on silver mylar-based. A little thicker than factory and with a "plastic" look.

For me, I preferred the "touch up paint" system rather than door guards.

Just my observations . . . your experiences might vary.

NTX5467