yet another off the wall question

Guest u571

On my '63 there is a chromed kick plate next to the accelerator pedal.On the passenger side there is the same piece in yellow(age related?) plastic.These plates seem to bridge an open space behind the carpet in front of the center console.the plastic piece looks strange and kinda cheesy tbh.

I currently dont know anyone with a first gen. riv so no one to compare notes with ...any roa folks in Tucson?

Question #2 would the rear axel,differential cover have been raw iron/steel or coated? I have seen restored cars with satin black paint,Just not sure if thats what they did in '63

Thanks for answering my often wierd questions.

Mark:D

It's been a few years since I took all the interior out of my car and the console is still out but I recall the exact same odd set-up. Most of the interior lights on my cars were inoperative, but I presumed that the yellowed plastic piece is designed to conceal an interior light...but I could be wrong. Regarding the rear diff...I bet they came in raw steel. PRL

My 63 (April build) has both those pieces, however the "yellow" piece is BEHIND the carpeting on the passenger side. I believe it was a stiffener to give the carpet something to form to heading up into the under dash area.

HTH,

Deano K.

Beaverton, OR

Well that makes sense. Still funny though because there is cardboard on the kick panels right? I get the plastic (yellow) for strength, but you'd think the kick panels which get abuse from feet, moisture, dirt etc. would be made of more durable stock and the console insert could be cardboard...like the trunk liner. All this reminds me that the interior has been out of my car for way too long. PRL

My kick panels are carpeted and have a horizontal bright metal strip along the bottom. But they do have cardboard under the carpeting. Who knows what they were thinking?!? I'm going to tackle a non working windshield washer setup on mine shortly. Talk about some engineering "genius" in that system...

This is a non AC car so YMMV.

Deano K.

Edited by Deanoko (see edit history)