Sign in to follow this  
mjames

6 volt starter relay

Rusty,

From what I recall from my 1950's MoToR's an Chiltons' books, the "relay / resistor" device that mounted on the fender well or the air-cleaner support strap was related to the Fluid Drive semi-auto...

The diagrams MJAMES just posted look like they're from a Chrysler shop manual...

???

( I hope I don't have to go out and buy a '52 Windsor of my own to figure this out.... )

:rolleyes:

Frank, there is a "relay / resistor" device that is mounted on my air cleaner support, which is where the wires for the Fluid-Matic are connected to.

You are correct for saying that the wiring diagram pictures come from the 51-52 chrysler manual i have and the separate wiring schematic came from the wiring harness for the carb,trans.

I just wanted to add that this problem started last year before i had ever touched anything on the car, one day it worked the next day it didnt. Not sure if that means anything or not.

Edited by mjames (see edit history)

Is the generator charging ?

The fact that the starter works when you "short" the battery terminal to the switch terminal at the front of the solenoid suggests that the starter and solenoid combo itself is working...

I wonder if it is possible to connect a jumper wire from the key-switch "ST" terminal / wire, directly to the small terminal on the solenoid, and by-pass that safety relay ? If the starter then oeprates off the key-starter, that suggests that the problem is somehwere in either the safety relay or the wiring to the generator.

Check your Chrysler shop manual in the Starter section, and see if it describes how the safety relay is supposed to work, and see if they have a trouble-shooting flow-chart...

I think your best best is to check-out each element in the starter control circuit, and see where the gremlin is by process of elimination....

Keep us posted...

I reviewed the wiring diagram provided and I agree with Desoto Frank. The relay is there to prevent the starter from engaging once the engine is running.

When the engine is not running the ARM terminal is at ground potential allowing the starter relay coil to function since it needs ground at one side to pull the contacts together. Once the engine starts the ARM is no longer at ground but at 7 volts or so, so the coil in the relay cannot close the points and send voltage to the starter solenoid. If evertyhing checks out and the problem is definitely the relay, almost any 6 volt relay can be used off to the side to preserve the starting safety feature.

Joe

There is a device on the air filter support that is connected to the coil and the carburetor as part of the transmission shift control system. It contains a resistor and a circuit breaker. It has nothiing to do with the starter relay.

I checked and rechecked....gonna try one from napa....i will update....thanks for every bodies help.

The contacts in the fender mounted relay have corrosion on them. Carefully take the relay apart and clean the contacts-Your problem will be fixed-been there- done that with my 52 NewYorker.

c49er, your were absolutely correct. I took it apart and cleaned every contact point. Put it back together and low and behold, it turned right over with the key. Thank you Frank,Rusty,Joe and especially c49er for all your help.

Yes, thanks for the information on the location of that starter relay. Some Buick model years had it mounted on the starter relay on top of the starter and some had it on the passenger side firewall. I assume that the location on the fenderwell was followed for other Chrysler products.

Joe

I realize that this is an old forum, but Frank if ur still checking this thread.  I have a 53 Chrysler imperial semi- automatic, and Ime 99% certain thatbus is the relay that is bad as there is always continuity between the Neg Battery post Large bolt and the center smaller post going to the posistive on the start, meaing no matter what you do the starter is constantly trying to engage even with the key in the off position and yes this is a 6V Postive to the frame (Reversed Polarity system Commonly and incorrectly refered to as a positive ground) my Question is this.  how can I find a replacement relay.  the one in the pic you posted looks right but no longer available.  Also Napa has some option that go back to the sixty but they don't have a voltage rating. I am uncertain if one designed for 12v Neg polarity would work with a 6V postive poliarity system.

Open up the starter relay and see what is wrong.... maybe it's wired up wrong or the points on the starter relay are  stuck closed...

maybe the starter solenoid is actually the issue....more diagnostics required...

If your car was a 145" LWB Crown Imperial it would use a 12 volt system.

You have the Std Imperial 6 volt system