1930 30U Roadster Questions

hursst

Hello, new to the forum. I bought the 1930 30U Roadster that was mentioned a few threads below and I had a few questions that maybe some of the Plymouth folks could answer.

1) There are 2 different types of hubcaps on the car. They both have the same "Plymouth" wording (not the just "P") from the outside, but inside they are different. With one type, you can see the "Plymouth" words pressed into the steel from the other side. On the other type, you cannot see the "Plymouth" words pressed in as if it is a 2-piece affair. There is also a logo "S" with "Scovill" typed on it, visible from the inside of the hubcap. This style also has a 1" edge height, while the other one is only 3/4". Anyone have an explanation? Which type is correct for a late-model 30U?

2) The car is missing it's side curtains and support rods, which I'm having reproduced. The gentleman who is helping me with getting these reproduced says that in the rumbleseat compartment there was some type of compartment or attachment point that was on the back of the wooden supports of the front seat that stored or mounted the side curtains. Mine just has a black-painted wooden seat back along with a wooden frame. There is no evidence of anything else being there. Does anyone know if there was supposed to be something there and if there are any photos available of what it looked like?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If you are talking about wire wheel hubcaps, the one with the skin on it is more than likely an original. The reproduction pieces seem to have the impressions exposed on both inner and outer sides. For an example, I will show you a 1931 Dodge Brothers reproduction cap (left side) and an original (right side). Notice the front looks nearly the same. The back has the name showing up on the reproduction and the side dimension is less on the reproduction. I imagine that the Plymouth caps are that way, too.

A friend of mine had a car like that and stored the side curtains in a leatherette pouch that he stowed in the rumble seat area. I don't recall any "holder" of any kind on the rear of the front seat, but I drove it and never rode in the rumble seat.

post-37352-143138504541_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313850455_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138504558_thumb.jpg

Keiser31, thanks. I think that solves that mystery in a hurry. Regarding the side curtains, the other gentleman said in his email, which I revisited, that the car he was discussing was a DeSoto of the same body style as the 30U Roadster. I'm guessing the Plymouth maybe never had anything like that since it was a "cheaper" car. I appreciate your posting!

Guest 1929model75

I can tell you the 29 Chrysler roadster had storage behind the front seat just had my interior guy doing the measurements today to make one

I would imagine that the Plymouth had some sort of storage pocket and that they would not just stuff a pouch with side curtains into the rumble seat area at the factory.

Guest R-ajax peterson

I have a 31 Dodge DH Roadster, just got it two days ago. I looked in the rumble seat area and there are two brackets with two bolt holes in each. It clearly had something attached to it at one point in time. Must be the side-curtain holder that you speak of. If anyone ends up with a photo of what one of these "holders" looks like please post it.

Thanks. Rick

Guest R-ajax peterson

Just followed back the threads to see the car you bought. Beautiful car.!!!! Great colors and style. I see that you have the chrome top rester things on the deck in front of the rumble compartment. On my car that is where the brackets are attached to. Bolts that hold chrome resters also hold the brackets. I will post a pic in the next day or so. Congrats on your purchase.

Rick

I guess I won't be able to figure it out for certain until I see some photos, but I'll have to look under those chrome rests to see what I have. Didn't think to look up there.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm very pleased with the car and I'm trying to fix it up and get everything as original as possible without going thru a restoration. Too nice to restore, but won't win any AACA awards. Congrats on your Dodge purchasae as well.