Off topic for those who really know brake failure

Guest wmptom

Was on a trip with a customer last week near Tucson. Highlight of the trip was a trip up Mt. Lemon. Well over 10K ft. I found out on the way down that the 03 Tahoe, I believe was close to out of gas. It beeped, and the yellow light came on. At the nearest station we had 2 gal.

Question is what would happen going down a (big) mountain if he ran out of gas? Also the brakes on the car were pretty old. Was I getting nervous about nothing? What would a Reatta do?

Tom T

Guest TheCapnVideo

How do you think I drove home 80 miles on the interstate with a 30 mile surface road ending after a brake line rupture? downshift to about 20 then stand on the pedal.

I'll add that when coming down out of the mountains, one should downshift and use engine braking as much as possible, to keep from heating up the brakes and/or wearing them out prematurely. I remember my Dad constantly reminding me to do this last time we went to Colorado back when I was in high school and was still a rather novice driver.

There are a few hills around where I live that I will downshift to 2nd to keep from picking up too much speed (and avoid the speed trap ever so conveniently placed at the bottom) rather than ride the brakes all the way down. Really that's about the only time the handle comes out of park, reverse or overdrive unless I'm driving in snow and need to downshift to drop speed rather than skid by braking.

KDirk

This is another good example of why you should flush the brake fluid.

3% moisture will lower the boiling point of DOT 3 by 100 degrees F.

If you travel in the mountains, pull a trailer, or do anything that is not normal for the brakes, changing the fluid is very important.

Boiling brake fluid will feel like brake fade.

Probably shouldn't have worried as much as I did, as the owner knew he had worn brakes and a full load, so he downshifted accordingly.

Tom T.