1964 Riviera parts car

Guest Kinmann

Guest Kinmann

Hey guys,

Need help.....I've found a '64 Riv that the guy is getting ready to take to the crusher. It is in really rough condition. Not too many good parts to be had.... But it did have air, it does have good glass all around.

Minimal good trim.....now my question. I offered $200 to him to let me take any parts off of it I want. I was going to take all the glass and radio, and radiator ( radiator because it's just in the back seat.

The trim around the windows is gone. What is the best way to remove the windshield and rear glass? Is it worth taking? Is there a market for the glass? I don't need it but, because it's great, I'm taking it.

Really there is minimal good parts on it, what a shame....but what are some things I should look for.

Thank-you,

Kevin

***** I'm doing this next Tuesday

If I could pull anything off...I'd look for the following: gas tank, gas sender unit, any outside trim, door skins, side mirror, radiator, front brake drums, dash parts, console, inside rear window trim...basically anything that is unique to first generation Rivs. Most of this stuff is valuable because it can't be/isn't reproduced. Even if it's half dead looking, much can be rebuilt. Chances are there is some desperate mook like me out there looking for this stuff...even if it is in rough condition. PRL

As Pete said, grab anything that's easy to get off and is unique to the 1st generation cars. I think there's someone out there who's looking for a numbers correct AFB carb for a '64. Even things like the under hood wiring harness might be of interest to someone - like me, mine has been cannibalized in a couple of places. The diaphragms that open and close the heat doors are rare because there are two diaphragms in each housing. I've seen shifters on ebay for $25.00 or so. What shape is the steering wheel in, lots of them have cracks in them and someone might want to replace it. As long as you're not removing too much weight, the owner is going to get the same amount for the car whether or not you pull some things or not.

You can get new windshields. The back glass would need to be taken out using the ol' piano wire method.

I'd be interested in another shifter so I can try to modify it to work with an overdrive transmissions. Keep us up to date

Ed

Guest Kinmann

Guys....I will keep you up to date. The biggest issue is the darn possums have a nest in the engine compartment. I'm gonna strip it the best I can. I'm gonna need a machete to cut all the brush grown around it. I'm not even tryin to be funny.....I'm taking the dash gauges/clusters, console, glass.....I am dying to pop the trunk! He's never opened the trunk! Someone stole the intake and carb from it....I'll get there at 10 am and spend a good four or five hours on it!

Im sure all chassis parts are gone.....the car is sunk about 6 inches into the earth.

I live in North Carolina....see this stuff all the time, it just blows my mind....WHY?

I came across a 65 GTO last week that was in nearly the same condition. Its buried amongst a bunch of trees. The only way I found it was, I stopped because the guy had about 6 charges scattered throughout his yard, I pulled in and asked his wife if the owner was home, she said my husband is at work. I said- I've been told about a few cars he has for sale,l you mind if I look around...she was fine with it. I about dropped my jaw when I seen that. If these cars could talk.

• 1 month later...

OK Kinmann: I have space for a parts car so in that respect I'm fortunate. I dismantled a 65 Riviera several years ago and it was a serious mistake. It's much less work keeping the parts on the vehicle instead of warehousing them. I can also keep a mental ( yes I could be considered a mental case by some) inventory of what's still on the parts car. Other perks, if you can keep the car, are.... you might have a road map as how things go together, there are tons of fasteners that could be used, scrap seems to be increasing in value, you could swap parts out with others who are doing their projects and the list goes on..........if you can keep/store the vehicle. Mitch