Help. 1960 Lesabre horn wire in column broke off

Guest 34KCenturion

Guest 34KCenturion

I have a 1960 Lesabre and the horn wont quit blowing. I removed the steering wheel to find out that the horn wire was twisted off about 2'-3' down inside the column. Wire was curled up at the end. What do I do now? Anyone know how to fix this? why did it twist off? Larry

Larry, search through the threads in the Buick - Post War. Search using "horn wire". I know that there have been at least 2 threads that have dealt with fixing horn wires in the last 3 months, most with photos. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info. Jim

Hi Larry,

I have a 60 Electra and just did this repair a couple of months ago. My horn wire had been mashed at the top end by the pressure of a steering wheel puller center bolt many years ago, so I finally sourced a junk column and pulled the wire from that one. If you are replacing the wire, it's a pretty straight-forward job parts-wise, with no reason to remove the column jacket. The bottom part of the wire is soldered to a brass collar that you can access after you remove the small bracket that holds the connector pin for to tan wire. It's near the neutral safety switch. The trick I found is when installing the new wire, use a length of thin baling wire or fishing line. Thread the fishing line into the opening created by removing the bracket/pin connector, and thread it up to the steering wheel end of the column. Then attach the end of the horn wire to the fishing wire and pull both wires back down - otherwise you'll never get the horn wire to move around the upper edge of the brass collar, on which it needs to be soldered. The other trick is to learn how to solder upside down - while using a mirror and a flashlight - not to mention being a contortionist! Be sure to cover your carpet well and wear gloves since you might not get it right the first time. It takes patience but it can be done. Sorry, I don't have pix of this repair but I'm sure someone on the BCA forum may.

Guest 34KCenturion

sounds just like what I was needing to hear. Where on the brass colar do I solder the wire? Is there a certain place I will see that it attaches? I will try this proceedure this weekend. Thank you, Larry

Guest 34KCenturion

I took a look at my horns brass collar today using a mirror only to find out that it is split in half/broken. I saw this problem in another post. Looks like I have no choice but to pull the column. Not sure if I can solder the collar back together or not. I will post back whenever or if ever I get this fixed. Might be one of those projects that take the backseat for a while.