Its not a flaw its a feature!

Guest TheCapnVideo

Guest TheCapnVideo

We have been struggling with the "gotta be Hulk Hogan to turn the key hard enough to make it start" problem which appears to be the norm when looking at used Reattas when I discovered an interesting thing...

Wife and son went to the store and called with a no-start situation.

It was raining...

Of course...

So after taking a short run through the archives I went to tearing apart the dash while being rained on . Dropped the steering column and was going to start dis assembly to see if the pushrod was bent or the switch was broken or what have you? Anyway i accidentally discovered that if the steering wheel was three clicks down from the full up tilt position tit started liks it was new, slick smoth and easy. Two clicks and you had to wrestle with it. One click and it was No Go. all the way up 'fageddaboudit.'

Is this a normal behavior or a sign of age. Do we KNOW about this and forget or is it something unique to my car?

thanks

TheCapnVideo

Edited by TheCapnVideo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheCapnVideo

Still diddling with this problem.

The sweet position seems to change from day to day.

116 views of this and no one has a comment?

Guest rendrag

A friend of mine and I both had this problem with our Reattas a few years ago. It turned out to be wires with the insulation rubbed through shorting out.

rendrag8

Guest TheCapnVideo

Well the problem turns out to be an ignition rack actuator or something similarly named. When you turn the key it moves this geared lever towards the firewall and pushes the actuator rod likewise towards the firewall which moves your switch towards the firewall which engages the various electrical positions. Problem is when I went to install the new geared module I cannot get the steering column disassembled far enough to get at the part. The column is in pieces right now and we are still trying to get the last housing assembly off the column to access the back side of the tilt mechanism. I am thinking I need a tilt pin removal tool to do the job and am heading towards the parts store to borrow / buy one. I'll let you know... really wish I had taken pictures along the way someone else would really have benefited from what we have done.

Guest TheCapnVideo

Update

The tilt mechanism needs to come out because the actuator for the ignition surrounds one of the tilt pins. This concerns me for two reasons, the tilt spring is rather strong and held in place with a clip which seems to be far from strong enough to stand up to the removal process and two I keep reading about tilt pin removal tools breaking off in the tilt pins during removal.

I succeeded in removing the actuator it is on the desk in front of me and it sure seems strong enough to withstand the rigors of a million starts and stops I wonder how it broke and broke it did, clean, in two places.

If nothing else I need to remove the broken pieces from inside the steering column.

I can see the case for push button starting of a car.

This is the replacement part from Advance Auto, it cost $12 and they had it in stock. FI I can figure out how to get the tilt apart it will go in tomorrow morning.

03.jpg