battery cable

RivVrgn

Just a quick question. On my 65 on the negative cable there is a smaller wire from the terminal post that goes under one of the screws on the voltage regulator. Do I need this wire? I've seen some that don't have it and some do. Any insight ? Thanks guys.

Joey #12735

post-67632-143138502771_thumb.jpg

Extra ground wires between things never hurt.

The ground straps from engine block to body (firewall) were used on jobs with a radio (most cars) to reduce ignition interference into the radio. (Jim's trivia tip of the day.)

Not OE. Perhaps the ground straps from the engine to the firewall are toast and that's how someone is grounding the body.

Nope, ground straps are still good. I'm replacing it is why I wanted to know. Good so I guess I can clean it up a bit without the wire.

Thanks guys. Joey

The cable is original or of the same type. If original, the part number should appear in white letters stamped on the cable, #2983775. My `65 Riv still has the original and the ground wire mounts under the regulator mounting screw, just like the illustration in the `65 Buick shop manual figure 10-156. Makes perfect sense to supply a ground for the regulator which goes directly back to the battery. You can never have too many grounds. ;)