This is my first project. good luck to me.

Guest maudsley

Guest maudsley

Hi all. 8 My first project is a 1928 Studebaker 8 cyl FA President reg Sedan.

This car is in remarkably good condition for its age. Which is good cause this is my first, and hopefully not my last, so I needed something remotely good. Not a basket case. It came home yesterday. My wife asked how long it would be here! I told her i'd get back to her on that. Tomorrow, when the rain stops, I will take more pics. Tips will be asked for, and greatly appreciated. I am a chevy man until this. Please don't hold it against me, I fell in love with her anyway.

post-69642-143138502679_thumb.jpg

post-69642-14313850268_thumb.jpg

post-69642-143138502682_thumb.jpg

post-69642-143138502683_thumb.jpg

post-69642-143138502684_thumb.jpg

What a great car and a great project. Looks like it's all there and just needs restoration. First thing I'd suggest is join the Studebaker club if you haven't already. Others who own these type of vehicles can be a great help in restoring one and of course finding parts. Second don't hesitate to post questions on this forum as there are so many knowledgeable people out there that probably have run into the same problem before or know how to fix it. The 20's cars are great and real simple usually to work on. Parts are getting hard to find, but you just have to keep searching. Don't forget to make a list and head to Hershey in October. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures as you go along from all angles which helps you put it back together and remember to post them here, we all like to see the progress others are making on their restoration. Good Luck!

I will echo Durant 28 here and encourage joining the Studebaker club. Marque clubs keep the hobby alive and promote the brand they represent. In addition, many of them are instrumental in the re manufacture of long out of production parts. Finally, you will find the best and least expensive sources of parts through other club members. In Crosleys, I have frequently seen people who are new to the marque end up paying several times the price for a part that a club member could have told them where to get for that lower price.

Guest maudsley

Thanks all. I am a new member of one of those clubs. However the Antique Studebaker Club(pre war) Use the AACA, so there right here! And have been hugely helpful thus far. Mostly helpful people all over this area,...thats nice.

There is a philosophy adhered to by some that it is a good idea to restore each part as it comes off the car. Then when everything is off the car and restored it is time to reassemble the car. One spends a lot more living with the car in slow stages of deconstructing and it goes back together much easier and quicker. If, comes a time the car cannot be finished, it can just go back together using the restored parts. It never really becomes the true basket case, of which there are thousands. Check Craigslist and see.

If the finished parts can be laid out as they are finished they make a logical order for reconstruction. Good luck, have fun; Jim43

Edited by jim43
gramatical error. (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Don't forget to take plenty of pictures as you go along from all angles which helps you put it back together !

I agree 100% with Duran28 here. Digital cameras allow you to go totally over the top with pictures as the are basically free. I wish digital cameras were around when I pulled my cars apart. These days I take pics of everything and at every stage I dismantle something. It's amazing at just how quickly you will forget where something goes.

:)You will never have to many memory joggers.:)

Danny