63 Interior Colors

CheezeMan

I have a Sandalwood interior (#736) and have been researching colors for repaint.

Using an old color chip sheet for DUCO (Dupont), I called the FinishMaster store in my area with these old codes. Of course, they have been discontinued. So, I wanted to post the new codes from their current Centari system that they gave me for anyone who may want to know.

1963 (All Models) Interior Colors

========================

DUCO#... Color Name.............. Centari Number................

95775... Light Sandalwood........ YM-010 (metalic base coat)

96336... Medium Sandalwood....... YS-146 (solid single stage)

4437-L.. Dark Sandalwood Suede... YS-162 (solid single stage)

Hope this helps.

Chuck-

How did they cross reference to these numbers?

When I needed to respray by back parcel shelf, I did a computer color match scan of a small area that was out of exposure to any light.

Jim & Tom,

I called the FinishMaster local number, but it routed to a regional office. I believe Mark, from Detroit, answered and said that he would need to call Dupont Corp and see if they have the cross-references. I don't believe these cross-references are exposed to the public, though we all wish they were.

He was very quick to return my call and very polite to work with. I think I had these new numbers within an hour.

I'm not a paint pro, but understand there is a lot more involved in the color than just the pigment. A rep from Sherwin Williams explained that the old paints that we could get back in the day are just not available any more, and the colors were formulated to the paint base. Therefore, the modern paint bases need to have a new color formula.

I suppose a computer matched color is good, too, unless one desires a 400-point restoration. I am not sure if I'll get the paint mixed yet or not. Seems the $50/qt is a turnoff when I can computer match and get a qt for much less.