OK, how 'bout a 1980 MGB

I was wondering if i'm out of line asking $800 for a less desirable 1980 MGB conv. It was parked outside 10 years ago and just sat there. The removable hard top has a cracked rear window, so carpeting is bad. The rest of the interior is "usable". Original brown paint is terrible. The rockers are rusted even into the F+R fenders, but when I was under the car, the rest looked OK. From sitting, the clutch MC was solid and the brake MC seemed to move, but I didn't want to test it in case the brakes froze on. The fuel pump didn't work, so I fed gas from a can into the carb and it started up. Someone "enhanced" the mechanics by putting on a 45 DCOE weber carb, tuned headers, Mallory dist., and racing coil. No more emissions. Oh, it also has a 4 speed with overdrive. I've seen the overdrive transmissions asking $1000, so I figure $800 for a whole car is not out of line. I'm not far from Carlisle, Pa. so I might take it to Import Carlisle to share a friend's spaces.

Any comments, any buyers? I will trade for old Jag parts.

Phil.

I was wondering if i'm out of line asking $800 for a less desirable 1980 MGB conv. It was parked outside 10 years ago and just sat there. The removable hard top has a cracked rear window, so carpeting is bad. The rest of the interior is "usable". Original brown paint is terrible. The rockers are rusted even into the F+R fenders, but when I was under the car, the rest looked OK. From sitting, the clutch MC was solid and the brake MC seemed to move, but I didn't want to test it in case the brakes froze on. The fuel pump didn't work, so I fed gas from a can into the carb and it started up. Someone "enhanced" the mechanics by putting on a 45 DCOE weber carb, tuned headers, Mallory dist., and racing coil. No more emissions. Oh, it also has a 4 speed with overdrive. I've seen the overdrive transmissions asking $1000, so I figure $800 for a whole car is not out of line. I'm not far from Carlisle, Pa. so I might take it to Import Carlisle to share a friend's spaces.

Any comments, any buyers? I will trade for old Jag parts.

Phil.

$800 sounds like a fair figure to me. It's a little over the typical "parts car" price for a 1980 MGB, but the overdrive and the aftermarket hardtop make up for that.