Engine and transmission weight

Guest koss

Hello everybody,

My name is Konstantin, I am Buick enthusiast from Russia and new in this forum.

So, I might ask some silly questions but please be indulgent to myself at the begging.

Here is the first question, can someone help me to find the weight of engine 248cl and 320cl and transmission for 1937-1941 models.

I like to buy one and ship to Russia, so I need to calculate shipping charges based on the weight.

What is the difference between dynaflash and fireball engines besides manufacturing year, maybe someone have a good link?

Konstantin,

First, welcome to the forum and just to let you know - here are NO "silly questions" on the forum. (But you might find some "silly answers" from time to time. I do not know the answer to your question about weight, but if someone does not answer, I will try to research for you. I would think for that range, they might be the same.

Perhaps you could indicate if you are looking for a specific year and model, or series name and we can help you find a proper replacement engine and transmission.

John

Dear John,

Thank you for the feedback. I am interesting in 1938, but might consider 39-40 as they are almost the same engines.

I have Century w/o engine, so it shall be 320ci, but I might consider 248ci too.

So hope someone can give me the answer about the weight here.

The shop manual for my '41 Century says the 320 engine alone weighs 862 pounds. No, I'm not kidding. I initially hung it on an engine stand that was made to handle big block Chevys and it started to bend the instant I released the cherry picker. I bought one for diesel trucks and had no problems. The way my 1-ton Dodge pickup groaned under the weight of the engine in the bed was also noteworthy. There's no doubt that it is HEAVY.

The transmission is surprisingly light, however, probably on the order of 40-50 pounds, easily able to be lifted and moved by one person, despite the cast iron case.

I don't have my shop manual here, but I seem to recall the 248 was not much lighter, perhaps 100-150 pounds, but it was still 600+ pounds.

If you've got a large series car, and are going to ship an engine, I would recommend finding a proper 320. The difference in shipping costs will not be all that great, but the performance of the big car with the little motor will be notably hampered.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

You are certainly in the ball park Matt. Those straight eights were big heavy lumps, as were most of the engines of that era. Information I have says that the 1934 version of the small eight is 750lbs - fan to clutch comparable with a big block Chev! The early big eight of 1934 (344ci) is 1100lbs - so the new 320 was an advance when it came out for 1936.

My suggestion to koss is to allow for about 500kg.

All I will say is that my brother and I can lift my 248, and we are not big guys by any means. That was with all the accessories off of it. I guess that answer falls in the "silly answer" category :)

The transmission, like Matt said, is very light in comparison, and I would say 40-50 lbs is pretty close.

In a conversation with a new '37 Century owner yesterday he was telling about buying the car (it has a small block chevy in it) and getting the original drive train with the purchase.

The car was in California and the new owner was in Texas.

Several people struggled to get the '37 320 on a trailer and they finally slid it up ramps.

Drove to Home-Depot and built a shipping pallet in the parking lot. Then went to UPS for shipping. Engine and pallet weighed 1040 pounds (no transmission)

Dear Clubmates, thank for all Your feedbacks, now I got the info in the way and vloume I need. Pleasure to talk to you guys! :)