Timing Is Everything

CMJAnew

Saw this on Friday morning:

"BUICK REATTA 1991 70K red, extra nice; needs brake work. must sell. Best offer"

Called the number given at 2pm of either the first or second day of the ad running in the Binghamton Press. The seller already had a buyer coming to pick it up - sounded like sight-unseen. I asked how much......................

$1,500.oo

Dang! Never even got to take a gander at it.

Guest TheCapnVideo

uh...

My son and I just bought our first Reatta last weekend. It was on Craig's List for $2000 when it hit 1500 we called on it. Talked the family into $1200 for his "first car" and drove it home (with leaking back brakes) for $1000. Rear line ruptured on the way home and developed a fuel leak along the way in the same (behind the wheel at the proportioning valve) but we drove it home.

There is another Reatta for sale in Connecticut for $1100.

here's the link: 1989 Buick Reatta

The Ad we answered was long but read like this:

1989 Buick Reatta TOUCH SCREEN (1 of 7,009 ever made) - $1500 (Plainville, CT)

*******HAS THE ORIGINAL TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR THAT STILL WORKS 100%*************

This car has been in my family for the last 3 years now. It has been a car that was used by the two sons as their first car. This car is only 1 of 7,009 ever produced. It was hand made in the USA and sold for about $29,000 when first introduced. The car has 151,674 miles on it but has been treated nicely. The car gets a regular air filter replacement with a K&N and oil and oil filter and the rest of the basic maintenance ,are changed every couple months since we have a family member who owns an auto shop. This car has never been in an accident, but because of its age, as expected, it has its minor body issues, such as the passenger side lock doesn't work and the window wont open all the way (we own the replacement motor for it). The paint is all there, its just fading in some spots due to it being black and getting hot over the years. The engine is in spectacular and ask anybody who knows about the GMC LN3 3800 Fuel-Injected Engine, it will run longer than the body of the vehicle its in will.

I will recommend this vehicle to kids looking for their first car since its been mine and my brothers and its treated us well. It is also good for collectors and those looking for parts. For kids looking at it being a first car, I am willing to work on the price, but all others I please ask the listed price/OBO.

Please contact me with any questions regarding the vehicle, XXX-XXX-XXXX Steven

TheCapnVideo

Guest steveskyhawk

Dont feel bad, just live and learn. Deals are out there and "timing" is everything. A serious Reatta buyer will have lots of cash on hand and Southwest Airlines will be on their "favorites list"

Location is everything. I have more than I need and never had to go very far to find one.

More and more any car in a state that uses salt on the roads needs to inspect the fuel and brake lines closely. Apparently most of the body is quite resistant to rust but not the lines. A close look at the catalytic converter will often give a good idea of the rest of the car.

• 1 month later...
Guest Recian

sure doesnt look like she's got 70k then again they dont show under the hood. looks garage kept tho that's for sure

Guest Recian

i'd rather go with the select 60 further down the list. burgandy/white interior convert with body color wheels. good luck trying to find parts for that one :P

The wheels and hubcaps from that 91 Reatta are worth the $1500 that the quick buyer paid.

I wish they were worth $ 1500.

I have three sets of '91 wheels and center caps available.

One complete set $ 450. They are OK but should be repainted.

One complete set $ 550. They are pretty good looking on a daily driver.

One complete set $ 650. They have been repainted with the exact matching paint are are VERY nice.

I never even got to see it when it was for sale locally. When I asked the seller what she got for it, her imediate response was; "I know, I know, I could have gotten more but....."

I'm pretty sure, from the listing photos, it was well worth the $1500.00 the local flipper paid. Of course, we don't know what the current seller paid at auction.