Gas Tank Removal - '64

bepnewt

I'm in the process of running my '64 out of gas so I can drop the tank, work on the trunk, and clean and seal the gas tank.

I have the different manuals for the '64 and I've looked under car and it looks like a relatively easy task, but...

... there's always something to learn from folks that have done it before. Are there any tips / tricks out there for doing the tank removal? I searched the forum and saw a lot of people needing new ones, but I didn't see any information on the actual removal.

I'll be back later to ask about the cleaning and sealing the tank after I do some due-diligence and search for the info, first.

Thanks,

-BEPNewt

I just pulled my tank this weekend. It's a little smelly and messy, but very simple. I am trying a great experiment...I am going to retrofit a new replacement tank for a 70 Lemans/Tempest/GTO from Quanta Products to fit my 63. I am sick of picking junk from my old tank out of my carb so I am going to start fresh. Cleaning hasn't worked and I'm not committed yet to RENU. The swap will be tricky in three areas: the new tank will be tight up front near the rear axle where the frame is narrow but I think it will fit, the filler neck will need to be shortened and some creativity will need to be applied to the sender unit. I'll keep you posted on the big experiment. Meanwhile, having just pulled the tank two days ago, here are a few tips that come to mind:

1. Put car up on jack stands, or a lift if possible. Not essential, but a real timesaver.

2. Syphon it thru the filler first, then drain at the soft line at the sender unit, you'll get much more gas out of it. Less gas inside...less hassle.

3. Loosen the two bolts in front of straps and it will start to move. Put blocks beneath tank to prevent it from dropping fast and hitting your head.

4. Once tank has dropped a few inches, disconnect the vapor lines front and back and the electrical connection to the sender.

5. Get ready...then push the loosened bolts forward until the heads slip out and the tank will fall out and the straps will clatter out afterward.

6. Take off all your clothes put them immediately in the washer and take a shower if you ever want your wife to talk to your gassy, smelly self again. PRL

Jack the back end of the car up as high as you dare. Pull or cut the rubber fuel line under the passengers front fender just behind the front wheel and drain the fuel out that way. Worked like a charm when I changed tanks. I have a whole '64 tank I took out of mine sitting in storage I would let go as a unit.

Wonderful information.

I'm not sure what half the things you mentioned are, Pete, but I will after reading the manuals.

I'll try not to run it completely dry, I'll take it to about 1/8. This is only the 2nd tank of gas I've had in it and the first went "dry" right under 1/8.

If the rubber line looks bad, I'll consider doing the line-cutting. I don't plan on changing tanks as of now. My whole goal is to get to the underside of the trunk; cleaning the tank is one of those "while you're at it" items suggested by someone. If it turns out my tank is bad, I'll definitely chat with you about your extra, CTX.

I don't have any jack stands, yet. I bought a set of ramps last Sunday that I'll be backing it up on.

-BEPNewt

Don't take any chances with the ramps, go get some jack stands.
Definately!!!

A set of 2 ton stands and a cheap matching floor jack is only like $50 at the chain auto places. I have two sets of those plus a good Stinger floor jack and matching 3 ton stands. You won't regret it in the slightest!