Got my 65 Riv GS engine partially torn down. Need opinions.

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Been taking it apart to check things out, to see which direction I go with the engine.

Take a look, and tell me what you guys think? Checked the bore with a caliper, and it is 4.3125, so it looks like it didn't get bored out when it was rebuilt by the previous owner in 1982.

Engine has been sitting for 25 years. The reddish fluid is gear/ATF oil the PO put in the cylinders. Luckily, I have not found any standing water in the engine, or oil pan.

Rocker arms and shafts are spotless. Took out several lifters, and they show little to no visual wear.

65RivGSRestoration182.jpg

65RivGSRestoration003.jpg

65RivGSRestoration011.jpg

65RivGSRestoration014.jpg

65RivGSRestoration020.jpg

65RivGSRestoration023.jpg

65RivGSRestoration025.jpg

65RivGSRestoration021.jpg

65RivGSRestoration026.jpg

65RivGSRestoration029.jpg

65RivGSRestoration028.jpg

65RivGSRestoration007-1.jpg

65RivGSRestoration006-1.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest oldbill

You have it apart, might as well go thru it. Did you have it running? if so what was the oil pressure, did it smoke, was the vacuum good, ect? Looks like it was either sitting a long time with water in the block or the head gasket was out on the back/front cylinder. You will have to ridge ream to get the pistons out, and since you say you are doing a frame off on the car, rings, bearings and probably oversize pistons will be in order, since that was not done on the 82 rebuild..

Rob,

Other than the top side, that looks a little ugly. I'm assuming you mic'd the bores at the very top of the cylinder. Your dimension indicates it wasn't bored but is not an indication of the actual wear in the cylinders since the piston ring doesn't come the whole way to the top of cylinder. You will need a set of inside mics for that and they should be checked in various locations. Most of the wear is typically 1/2"- 3/4" down measuring vertical (exhaust to intake) not front to back.

You should proceed as if the engine wasn't ever rebuilt. As the engine is dismanteled, each component can be checked for integrity and a decision made based on facts after inspection. No assumptions can be made. Everything should be checked by a qualified engine builder.

Even though the rockers look good, I'd still dismantel at least 2 or 3 arms to see if there is any wear on the shafts and arms. If no wear then you know they have been replaced and not just cleaned. The pistons look like they have a fair amount of carbon buildup for not having many miles after the rebuild. Was it 3000 supposedly?

I would replace the cam even if it looks good because you have no idea what specs it is.

Guest Rob J
Rob,

Other than the top side, that looks a little ugly. I'm assuming you mic'd the bores at the very top of the cylinder. Your dimension indicates it wasn't bored but is not an indication of the actual wear in the cylinders since the piston ring doesn't come the whole way to the top of cylinder. You will need a set of inside mics for that and they should be checked in various locations. Most of the wear is typically 1/2"- 3/4" down measuring vertical (exhaust to intake) not front to back.

You should proceed as if the engine wasn't ever rebuilt. As the engine is dismanteled, each component can be checked for integrity and a decision made based on facts after inspection. No assumptions can be made. Everything should be checked by a qualified engine builder.

Even though the rockers look good, I'd still dismantel at least 2 or 3 arms to see if there is any wear on the shafts and arms. If no wear then you know they have been replaced and not just cleaned. The pistons look like they have a fair amount of carbon buildup for not having many miles after the rebuild. Was it 3000 supposedly?

I would replace the cam even if it looks good because you have no idea what specs it is.

No, I did not want to run the engine. Didn't feel comfortable until I looked inside. It hasn't ran in 25 years.

I'm with you Jason. I just checked it with a standard Digital Caliper, not an inside mic. Just wanted to see if it had ever been bored or not. The PO claims 3k miles, but we all know how PO's and relayed info often goes. I'm certain I'll be giving it a full re-build, and since I don't feel comfortable enough to do it myself, I'll most likely be sending it out to Tom, along with the carbs.

I do plan on changing out the cam, as I do know for a fact that this cam is not the original. It is a comp cams. The PO gave me receipts, so I do actually have specs on this replacement cam.

Rob.

Hey Rob,

I'd say that you were luck not to start it. All that crud in the intake, and the water in the cylinders, you could have fried the engine right there.

Looks like it could use a basic cleanup, mic, bearings and rings, new gaskets, and you're good to go. Might have to touch up the valves and seats, too.

Nice find anyway. It's an LX, right? I think I saw that in one of your other posts.

Later,

Mike

Guest Rob J
Hey Rob,

I'd say that you were luck not to start it. All that crud in the intake, and the water in the cylinders, you could have fried the engine right there.

Looks like it could use a basic cleanup, mic, bearings and rings, new gaskets, and you're good to go. Might have to touch up the valves and seats, too.

Nice find anyway. It's an LX, right? I think I saw that in one of your other posts.

Later,

Mike

Yes, it is an LX motor. Which is why I did not want to risk starting it until I tore it down a bit and found out what I was working with.