1938 coupe colors

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

just bought a 38 coupe with 49,000 miles. painted in green. id like to get her repainted. where can i go to find original color ?

Cool buy. Is it a Special or a Century? is it an unrestored car? Post some photos please.

For paint go here to this website 1937 and 1938 Buicks www.1937and1938Buicks.com.

there are two paint chip charts on this site, also take some time to look around the rest of the site and make sure you read the Torque Tube magazines that are posted their. Lots of info.

Also assuming you are a BCA member your should think about joining the 36-38 Buick Division of the BCA. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you an application. If you are not a BCA member you should join us too. I can send you an app or join at buickclub.org. Feel free to use me as a sponsoring member.

just bought a 38 coupe with 49,000 miles. painted in green. id like to get her repainted. where can i go to find original color ?

Do you want to find the original color to the car, or just paint chips for the year? If you want to re-paint the original color, the judging manual on this website (listed under Documents) can decode the numbers on the data plate on the passenger side of the firewall, including the paint code.

Nice buy! Let's see some pics.

Guest tom pre

hi gentlemen first a dumb question. whats the diference between century and special ? as soon as i saw it the wife & I fell in love with it. I bought it from a 88 year old gent who had it for the past 20. he had it converted to alternator & added elec. fuel pump. other than that it looks pretty original. i'll send out pictures as soon as i get it home. yes i belong to bca and i now i'll join 38 club

In very simple terms

Special = small body small engine low cost high production

Century = small body big engine = factory hot rod lower production numbers

There are various ways to tell the difference including wheel base, wheel size, engine length. On the body engine side panel it should say the model name as well as on the map light in the center of the dash.

If those are missing next easiest method to determine is wheel size. Special had 16" wheels while century had 15". Also the largest series cars, Roadmaster and Limited, also had 16" wheels but a different bolt pattern than Specials.

There are other various difference like hood length, steering wheel colors, upholstery options. Specials had an option and fairly rare self shifting transmission. I'm sure others can add more details.

Hope that helps.

Guest Grant Magrath

Sometimes traces of the original color can be found under things like bumper grommets and other attachments that could have been not worth removing at the time.

Cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...