Transmission side case gasket

charlie1

My 89 Riviera needs the transmission side case gasket replaced. The transmission has to be removed to replace it. My tech who I trust and is going to guarantee the work wants to replace it with a cork gasket. I have tried some of the places where I purchase parts Rock auto, Advanced, Autozone, NAPA and cannot find cork.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any comments on cork!

NAPA has one that is cork:

A/Trsax Gasket, Side Cover - Outer

Product Line: NAPA Automatic Transmission Parts

Part Number: ATP 18626

Features & Benefits Duplicates Original Equipment In Fit & Function

Warranty 12 Months or 12,000 Miles Whichever Occurs First

Application Information: 1989 Buick Riviera

Transmission Types : General Motors 440T4/4T60 (ME9), 4 Speed, Automatic Transaxle

38869.jpg

Padgett, that's what I thought too. Maybe the 89 is a bit different since it isn't a 4T60(E), I know I can do that one on my Caddy with just removing the drivers side wheel and housing, pull the CV axle and do the side case. By the looks the of gasket pictured, the 4T60E has a smaller side case. Maybe this is the difference.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

There doesn't seem to be any clear winner on what type of gasket to use. Just seems to be personal preference based on prior experience. Problems are more from mating surfaces not being cleaned well, not being true, and over tightening of the screws than from the gasket.

My wife's Reatta was leaking from the same area. Two easy fixes cured the problem.

You do have to pull the axle to get the side pan off.

Hers was leaking from both the outer pan gasket being bad and it turns out the 6 or so bolts that go around where the axle comes through the pan were loose. I tightened them and that cured that leak.

The outer gasket was bad so I loosened all the pan bolts, pulled the pan a little ways away from the transmission, added some form-a-gasket/gasket in a tube and retightened the bolts.

No more leak and about a half hour time frame.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mongeonman

What i would is to cut the gasket on the upper section so it can be install by just pulling the cover enough to scrape and put the new one in then put some gasket sealer where the cut is.