Sign in to follow this  
Erlyriv

1st Riv Purchase

Recommended Posts

Car did get here on Thurs., had some minor isues. Looks like it needs new voltage regulator.Had some issues driving it home.

Spent some time going over car this weekend. Will need new tires soon, windshield wiper blades and having hard time trying to get some over spray of the grill.Looks like the gril is chromed on the outher edge, and painted on the interior.Afraid to use any thing too harsh, which may take the gray paint off. Once the regulator gets fixed, need to adjust he carbs and linkage.Hopefully by the end of the week , it will be ready for a cruise.

Yes, I'll get some pics up soon. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! This is the fun part. Don't sweat the little stuff right now.

I'm happy for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erlyriv - I am deep into Reattas but check the Riviera forum from time to time as you might refer to the two cars as "cousins" in a way.

I do a lot of work with the retractable headlight assemblies on the Reattas and note your concern about the headlights on a 60's Riviera. Just curious, what are your concerns?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I have has some loose mounting screws in the headlight housing. Looks like maybe it may have been broke and repaired. Headlight still wiggles in the housing, so looks like I may have to replace that section. Not a '65, so no issues with the clam shells. I was hesitant to go the '65 route becuase of the clam shells having some issues with the vacum activated system. Maybe my concerns with those were not warranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the screws just loose or are the mounting holes stripped? I don't remember if they screw into plastic or capture nuts. If it is in plastic and they are stripped, I have fixed that by removing the screws and putting glue into the holes, then re-drilling the holes. I hope you can get it fixed.

The '65 clamshells are motorized with mechanical linkage. The problem is that the motor goes out. I have seen an actuator ram used and it looks like a great update - probably what I'll do for mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they may have tried the glue route, or just tried to glue broken pieces together. I do have some spares, so one way or the other I should get it worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had pretty good luck when encountering enlarged/cracked holes in plastic by using plastic drywall anchors. Clean up the hole, insert the drywall anchor into the hole and secure it with some super glue. You then have a good seat and you can usually use the OE sized screw.

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the same thing your doing with your '65 search. Luckily only lasted 4 months or so of serious searching.

Looks like I went though the same stuff your going though.I have a little better luck of being some what closer to canidates. :)

It is hard to be paitent when the nice weather comes and cars start crusing.

I did resolve the headlight problem with some new clips I found.

Got some repo tailight lenses, and a few more cosmetic upgrades for under the hood.

Getting NOS windshield put in now, still need to find some wiper blade inserts.

Found some blades to work for now, but like to get the stainless back on.

Need to get to Tom's for some wire wheelcovers, and a few other things.

Once I get the car back, I'll have to post some pic's.

Yes I know it's over due.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this