Sign in to follow this  
Erlyriv

1st Riv Purchase

A couple of things about the 63 are different from all other Rivieras. The trunk emblem say B U I CK in block letters. The hood ornament and the wheel cover emblems are Buick Tri-Shields. The only things on the 63 that says Riviera are on the front fenders and the glove box.

The 63 steering wheel also says Riviera, as do the door panel emblems on the custom interior versions.

Nice custom cloth interior 63 versions are still out there. After a long hot day at the car show, I really like crawling into my custom cloth interior as opposed to hot leather until I can get the AC cranked up.

So in help in finding the right car, are there items that are really hard to come by, that I should try and include on the car I buy.

My only experiance came from helping my dad a little 15 years ago. He needed a fan shroud, and had a hard time finding one.Granted this was without any internet use, but guessing these are still hard to find, unless somone started repoing them.

I know he had the 4 note horn on his, but it looks like those are also hard to come by. I've seen some recently for sale, but I understand that they are specific to year and model as well.Don't know if I need to be that picky, but to spend the money on them they seem to bring, might as well.

I guess I should ask if the market is high , low or average now for a Riv.Didn't know if the economy had any impact on classic car sales.

I will try to find the most well equipped car I can afford, but wondering if there is a real hard to come by item I should try to include.

Been trying to use the search function to limit my questions, if I'm asking too many answered questions let me know.

I have a highly optioned '63 - cruise, cornering lights, cast wheel covers, guide-matic, twilight sentinel, power vents, four note horns, etc. And I have a '64 that has your basic power windows, and tilt, with the custom interior.

It sometimes becomes a real PITA to keep all of the gizmos on the '63 in working condition. Driving the '64 is a pleasure because it's pretty basic and if something does go wrong, it's not such a pain to fix it or find a replacement.

They both get the same respect and acknowledgement from the general public.

Find a good driving nice looking car in the colors you like and enjoy driving it. Don't be concerned with how other people are going to look to see how it's optioned.

At this point in my experience with Rivieras, the only reason to try to find the most highly equipped car you can would be to purchase it low with the intention of selling it high.

I happened to get lucky with the purchase of my '63. I had been looking for one for sometime and wasn't finding anything (way before the advent of the internet.) After about nine to ten months of reading the classifieds, this car was listed in the local paper; I went to take a look at it. I drove it, told the seller I'd buy it, and drove it home. It wasn't until three years later when I joined the ROA that I began to realize that it was way more highly optioned than the average Riviera.

Luckily for me the seller chose to sell this car and not the '64 that belonged to his father. The '64 had more "sentiment" because his father had just passed away. It was more what I'd call a mid-optioned car: a/c, windows, seat, tilt, custom vinyl, and wire covers. He continued to drive his dad's car for some time. It was recently advertise on Craigslist here for $14,000. I don't know if it sold for that or was ever sold. Unlucky for me, it's cost quite a bit to keep all those options operational. The guidematic doesn't work now, and I really have no intention at this time of fixing it. Besides, it's a PITA everytime you drive under a street lamp that it dims the lights, then when you've driven on, the brights come on. Street light, dims, then brights, street light, dims then brights. I finally turned it off. I never drove it at night on the highway to actually use it. I guess that when I turned it off the last time it just decided to stay off.

In your last post you asked about four note horns - they're hard to find and expensive when you do find them. No guarantee they're going to work either. I bought a set recently for $75 to refurbish. No luck yet getting them to work.

Fan shrouds are being reproduced by CARS, Inc. Don't drive an a/c car without one.

Good luck in your quest. My biggest word of advice is don't get impatient. What you're looking for will show up.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

A/C, tilt,4- note horn, wire wheel covers, power seat, windows would be nice, some of the other extra's are not as big a concern.

Hope I could find all the color combo's to look at. Seen most of the common, white, black, silver.Would like to see some uncommon ones.I'll search some more for pics.

Those 4-notes are a very attractive option clear up through the mid 80s but the big trumpets on the first gen cars look and sound sooooo cool. There is a lot of people after them to ad to their car and thats why they go for so much money.

As has been mentioned, buying horns to ad on afterward usually isn't an inexpensive venture unless you stumble onto someone who doesn't know what they have.......and that isn't likely nor is finding a setup with all the brackets, wiring, etc. Often horns that come up for sale were removed years ago and the mounting brackets, wiring, etc was left behind or lost. A set just went on ebay for $367 and I thought that was very reasonable

Depending what part of IL you are from, if you can get away and go to Branson MO for the ROA national in June, that'd be the best place to get an education and find out what you like and don't like.

Got my Riview last week and membership card.No luck in the classified's yet, already sold.

Been checking the net and researching, no ideal canidates close. Seems many are at dealers on the net.

Thinking about going to the swap meet and car coral at the Madison classic in Jefferson Wis., coming at the end of the month.

Anybody gone, had luck with a purchase here?

Thanks,

Todd

Found a '65 GS canidate.Here are a few pics.I know it is hard to pinpoint an original or not, see any glaring errors? Would more pics of something differant help?

Thanks ,

Todd

gs10.jpg

gs9.jpg

gs8.jpg

gs7.jpg

gs6.jpg

gs5.jpg

gs4.jpg

gs3.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs1.jpg

I'm not a pro on GS Rivis, but I'd be a little careful on that one. It looks like a decent car, but every GS I have seen has had a 425 2x4, wood wheel, and deluxe interior. Also, it should have a posi (jack up the rear and rotate one tire, the other should go in the same direction) and bigger exhaust. I think they have different springs and sway bar.

It appears to have the fender badges, is the glove box also Gran Sport? There should be one on the rear as well.

It also has the wrong center caps on the wheels.

If you are looking for a road car and don't care if it's not a real GS and the price is right, it may work...

Owner says to have 2 x 4 carb. 425, posi. super 400 trans.

Going though the GS id thread, I thought it said no deluxe interior, and no grooved rocker panel covers.Trying to research it as much as possible. Car is not local and price is 18k.

There was another one one the west coast that just apppeared on craigslist.Cheaper, but looks like alot more work.

1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport

Todd,

That blue car isn't bad looking, but without the numbers matching engine it will be difficult to prove it is a Gran Sport. And with an $18k asking price, it is kind of high for a non numbers standard interior car that still needs some finishing touches and MIGHT be a Gran Sport. Deluxe interior is a highly sought after option on these cars.

I saw some hugh prices for these at the auction, thought it might be in line. But if it's not a GS, it would be high.I did also just see a '63 on e-bay with a 2 x 4 carb 425. I didn't think that was an option in '63.

I've seen the one in Portland, almost bought it. It needs everything. There is some rust thru in the floor and trunk as well as the drivers rear lower quarter. And it has a munched drivers front fender.

The engine is a replacement LX. It does come with over $4k of NOS parts. It's probably a good deal for a real GS for the person who plans on redoing everything anyway. I didn't have the resources to do it right, so I passed.

Mark is, or was, a ROA member.

Good luck on your search. There's one out there that will have that spark.

There's a good "How to ID a Gran Sport" on the ROA website. Check it out.

The Gran Sport option did NOT include the wooden wheel, rocker panels, or custom interior. I have a friend in central Kansas who has a '65 Gran Sport. It has a factory replacement engine in it BUT he has the paper work from Buick and the dealership that changed the motor to prove it. A non-numbers matching engine shouldn't be a deal breaker but if it were me, I'd use it to my advantage to really haggle on the price. In the pictures that were posted, the trunk material is wrong, and the spare tire should be under the package tray. The package tray needs recovered. Your question for the seller is "why is the vinyl peeling away from the backing? Is there a leak in the rear window channel? That's very common on these cars." The wheels shown were also NOT part of the GS option; there was a special GS wheel cover if you didn't special order the rally wheels. Those caps are from a 66 - 70 wheel.

There's a good "How to ID a Gran Sport" on the ROA website. Check it out.

The Gran Sport option did NOT include the wooden wheel, rocker panels, or custom interior. I have a friend in central Kansas who has a '65 Gran Sport. It has a factory replacement engine in it BUT he has the paper work from Buick and the dealership that changed the motor to prove it. A non-numbers matching engine shouldn't be a deal breaker but if it were me, I'd use it to my advantage to really haggle on the price. In the pictures that were posted, the trunk material is wrong, and the spare tire should be under the package tray. The package tray needs recovered. Your question for the seller is "why is the vinyl peeling away from the backing? Is there a leak in the rear window channel? That's very common on these cars." The wheels shown were also NOT part of the GS option; there was a special GS wheel cover if you didn't special order the rally wheels. Those caps are from a 66 - 70 wheel.

What he said.

I'll add, that IMO, most people who are specifically looking for a GS will want at minimum the following options. Deluxe interior, AC, Wood Wheel, Ralley wheels, Power windows, AM/FM radio, and Cruise. There are other desirable options, such as power rear and vent windows, Guidematic, Remote truck release, Power Antenna, Rear Defroster, 4 note horn, but I think the car needs to at least have the first ones I listed for it to really have broad mass appeal when time comes to sell. Something to think about.

I know that I personally would not want a GS w/o at least AC, and the Deluxe interior.

All good points guys. None of these cars are remotely local.Just saw them come up, and were in the body style I liked.As stated in earlier posts, I need to be patient. With some decent weather finally going on here, makes it that much more of a challenge. :)

I do like he 4 x 2 carb. option on the GS's, but I understand there are '64 that come that way and non-GS '65's.Do the 64's come with the aluminum Buick valve covers as well?

Thanks again for the feedback,

Todd

The Gran Sport option (A-9) listed for $306.38 and included the 360 hp Super Wildcat dual 4 bbl engine, modified exhaust and transmission, positive traction differential with a 3.42 rear axle, ornamentation and wheel covers. The engine was a 425 ci (code LX) with two AFB carburetors (front #3645, rear #3925) and distributor (#1111058) with a different throttle curve.. The engine package included a large fully chromed twin snorkel air cleaner, with a metal monogram that read "Super Wildcat," finned aluminum valve covers with "BUICK" in raised letters. The package also required a different upper AC bracket (#1367411) to fit over the taller valve covers. The exhaust pipes were increased from 2" to 2 ¼ "inside diameter and had less turns to reduce backpressure. The modified transmission had a "BS" code on its ID plate. The 3.42 positive transmission was standard but other ratios from 2.78 up to 4.45 could be special ordered. The Gran Sport option did not include the chrome wheels, upgrade interior, ribbed rocker panel or any other accessory.

There was an H2 ride/handling package which could also be ordered that provided springs with different rates, and a quicker ratio steering box.

The same A9 engine option could be ordered in '64 but there was nothing like the Gran Sport nomiker to go with it; you can only tell by lifting the hood. The high end wheel dressing for 64 was the cast aluminum bolt on wheel cover with removable stainless knock-off (access to lug nuts via removal of the knock-off.) The transmission in '64 was a 3 speed (only D and L on the quadrant) but it did not have the variable pitch torque converter that was on the '65 transmission. The BS code transmission had higher and firmer shift points. There were about 450 or so 65 Rivieras equipped with the A9 engine that were not Gran Sports.

Keep looking, it's out there. Maybe not for sale yet, but new ones appear all the time.

Ed

The GS also comes standard with the "Instantaneous Reading Gas Gauge", as you'll be watching the needle move from full to empty as you drive down the street with the dual quads running that 425! :D

Deano K.

63 with newly dialed in 4 jet...

The GS also comes standard with the "Instantaneous Reading Gas Gauge", as you'll be watching the needle move from full to empty as you drive down the street with the dual quads running that 425! :D

Deano K.

63 with newly dialed in 4 jet...

Good old American gas guzzling horsepower and torque. You gotta love it!!!:D

I remember the gas gauge actually going down when I punched it and never coming up as far as it was before I did. :D

Forgot to ask earlier. The blue GS pics I posted, should have been owned by a ROA member in the past. There was a sticker on the car and some Riview's said to be inside.Would the vin be in the registry?Any long term members remember the car.Went from KY to Maine. Don't know were elese it's been.

Found a good canidate in AZ. '64 with the Super Wildcat.Car was posted on Craigslist, haven't been able to get a e-mail response yet.I did talk to 2 ROA members listed in the same town as listing, with no luck on contact info.Car is in Wickenburg, Az.Anyone remember who the owner may be?

Second question.

For those of you who hard to relocate a car 1800 miles, what is the easiest way to do it?

Still need to see the car, hope that is possible.

Any suggestions on these isues would be great.

1964 Classic Buick Riviera

Thanks,

Todd

Todd, that 64 looks like a nice candidate. I met a guy local to me the other day whom has a 64 DQ car. Black on Black. Nice car.

In regard to shipping a car, I've used uship.com numerous times with good results. It is a shipping auction site. List what you need shipped, and where, and shippers bid for your work.

Rob.

Thanks.

Hope I can get a hold of the seller.Still need to go take a peek.

Hate to be something sight unseen.

My 63 was shipped from Grand Rapids MI to Portland OR last year via open transporter for $900. The process took about 3 weeks due to no one being interested in doing the job for awhile. The driver was an old school guy who took care of the car fine but pulled the key out in the accessory position which ran the battery down to dirt and fried the little coil in the clock during the process. It's the little things...

Deano K.

55 MG

58 Chevy

63 Buick

and others