1st Riv Purchase

Guest Erlyriv

The Gran Sport option (A-9) listed for $306.38 and included the 360 hp Super Wildcat dual 4 bbl engine, modified exhaust and transmission, positive traction differential with a 3.42 rear axle, ornamentation and wheel covers. The engine was a 425 ci (code LX) with two AFB carburetors (front #3645, rear #3925) and distributor (#1111058) with a different throttle curve.. The engine package included a large fully chromed twin snorkel air cleaner, with a metal monogram that read "Super Wildcat," finned aluminum valve covers with "BUICK" in raised letters. The package also required a different upper AC bracket (#1367411) to fit over the taller valve covers. The exhaust pipes were increased from 2" to 2 ¼ "inside diameter and had less turns to reduce backpressure. The modified transmission had a "BS" code on its ID plate. The 3.42 positive transmission was standard but other ratios from 2.78 up to 4.45 could be special ordered. The Gran Sport option did not include the chrome wheels, upgrade interior, ribbed rocker panel or any other accessory.

There was an H2 ride/handling package which could also be ordered that provided springs with different rates, and a quicker ratio steering box.

The same A9 engine option could be ordered in '64 but there was nothing like the Gran Sport nomiker to go with it; you can only tell by lifting the hood. The high end wheel dressing for 64 was the cast aluminum bolt on wheel cover with removable stainless knock-off (access to lug nuts via removal of the knock-off.) The transmission in '64 was a 3 speed (only D and L on the quadrant) but it did not have the variable pitch torque converter that was on the '65 transmission. The BS code transmission had higher and firmer shift points. There were about 450 or so 65 Rivieras equipped with the A9 engine that were not Gran Sports.

Keep looking, it's out there. Maybe not for sale yet, but new ones appear all the time.

Ed

The GS also comes standard with the "Instantaneous Reading Gas Gauge", as you'll be watching the needle move from full to empty as you drive down the street with the dual quads running that 425! :D

Deano K.

63 with newly dialed in 4 jet...

Guest Rob J
The GS also comes standard with the "Instantaneous Reading Gas Gauge", as you'll be watching the needle move from full to empty as you drive down the street with the dual quads running that 425! :D

Deano K.

63 with newly dialed in 4 jet...

Good old American gas guzzling horsepower and torque. You gotta love it!!!:D

Guest Erlyriv

Forgot to ask earlier. The blue GS pics I posted, should have been owned by a ROA member in the past. There was a sticker on the car and some Riview's said to be inside.Would the vin be in the registry?Any long term members remember the car.Went from KY to Maine. Don't know were elese it's been.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Erlyriv

Found a good canidate in AZ. '64 with the Super Wildcat.Car was posted on Craigslist, haven't been able to get a e-mail response yet.I did talk to 2 ROA members listed in the same town as listing, with no luck on contact info.Car is in Wickenburg, Az.Anyone remember who the owner may be?

Second question.

For those of you who hard to relocate a car 1800 miles, what is the easiest way to do it?

Still need to see the car, hope that is possible.

Any suggestions on these isues would be great.

1964 Classic Buick Riviera

Thanks,

Todd

Guest Rob J

Todd, that 64 looks like a nice candidate. I met a guy local to me the other day whom has a 64 DQ car. Black on Black. Nice car.

In regard to shipping a car, I've used uship.com numerous times with good results. It is a shipping auction site. List what you need shipped, and where, and shippers bid for your work.

Rob.

My 63 was shipped from Grand Rapids MI to Portland OR last year via open transporter for $900. The process took about 3 weeks due to no one being interested in doing the job for awhile. The driver was an old school guy who took care of the car fine but pulled the key out in the accessory position which ran the battery down to dirt and fried the little coil in the clock during the process. It's the little things...

Deano K.

55 MG

58 Chevy

63 Buick

and others

That 64 looks worth pursuing. If you could get someone local to check it out that would be best.

KX code engine, dry AZ body, A/C that works and $10k asking price would be enough to make me want to get on the stick and check it out closer.

There are as many horror stories in auto transport as there are good stories. Just use a company that has an A+ rating in the BBB and/or a suggestion obtained from a personal reference

It looks good enough that it would make a great road trip story. Get it checked out, if it is OK grab a buddy and fly out there, get in the car and drive it home. The price would probably be about the same as transport, but the trip could be priceless!

I mentioned that I sold a '67 Chevelle to a guy from AZ. I met him at the airport and he got in the car and drove it home.

There's another thread about a guy who drove his Riv from FL, I think, to CA. Great stuff.

OK, I might do it just for the fun of driving a Rivi cross country. :D

OK, maybe not... I'm in WA state...

Think about it.

Guest Erlyriv

Got in contact with the owner.Now need to go out and find way to get back.I'd love to drive it, but going through AZ,TX,OK, might be a little remote. Don't know if I'd find enough gas stations between fill up's.

Guest Erlyriv

Well booked my flight to Phoenix. Be there at around 1 p.m. Fri.

Looks like I'm going to use a transport to get it back, as long as all look well.

The `64 in AZ was featured in the Riview. Not sure about the exact issue but I recall it was sometime around the ROA annual meet in Flagstaff. If the car has changed hands since, the article may contain valuable info which is lost between owners.

Tom Mooney

P.S. For me, finding the "right" car is about condition, provenance and color. Everything beyond that is just an exercise in OCD...at least that`s what my doctor says.

Guest Erlyriv

Should be the same owner. Are back issues available online?Is there a "best place " to purchase new floor pans? Looks like several folks are making them available now.

Hopefully the car will be going back to a ROA member in the future. :)

Guest Rob J

A Silver 65 GS just went up for sale on Craigslist in LA, Cali. Supposedly Dick Sweeny knows about this car. It looks like a fairly nice car.

You can't get back isues on-line, but contact Joanne using the office@rivowners.org email address and tell her your ROA member number and what issue you want. (you'll need to know the date of the issue or the volume #/issue #) She'll then tell you 1) if she has a back copy of that particular copy and 2) where / how to send your $$$ and shipping information.

Ed

...Is there a "best place " to purchase new floor pans? Looks like several folks are making them available now...

I just got my floor pans from CARS. ( Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc. ) and they are OK. Not as nice as the pans that I got for my '55 Chev. I didn't find any that were full front to rear or front half back half. I needed 5 for the driver's side and 4 for the pass. side. Lots of welding and fitting. I'll start a thread for it with photos.

What's up with the car? Does it need floors or is this for another one?

Guest Erlyriv

Might need them or not. I know they were patched, didn't get photo's to show. On the way the the airport now to fly out and look things over.

The Riview with the yellow KX 64 was Vol 22 No.3 March/April 2006. The Member Showcase was written by Mike Ordway. The car is on the front cover as well.

He did a lot of work to it. Rebuilt drivetrain, interior, etc. and it looks really nice in the pics. Mike also noted the car was highly optioned. In one "before" pic, I could see the wood wheel still had the horn bar intact.

Apparently it sat with windows down for 12 years before Mike bought it. He mentioned the floors were rusted away from rain. Goes to show even arid climate cars can have rust issues.

Guest Erlyriv

Thanks Jason.

the floor was the only thing I was worried.Just got to my hotel in Phoenix about to heads over a nd take a look.

Guest Erlyriv

Sorry guys.

Had to drive back to the hotel, eat, get car back to rental,get back to hotel,check in and print boarding passes for tommorow morning.

I spent a few hours at Mike's crawling ,looking ,chatting and test driving first.

All should work out, minor issues with the floor.Cars coming back to Illinois. :)

Need to arrange transport, been a long couple days,getting things together so quick.

Flight leaves at 7:00 a.m., time to get some rest soon.

Sorry guys.

Had to drive back to the hotel, eat, get car back to rental,get back to hotel,check in and print boarding passes for tommorow morning.

I spent a few hours at Mike's crawling ,looking ,chatting and test driving first.

All should work out, minor issues with the floor.Cars coming back to Illinois. :)

Need to arrange transport, been a long couple days,getting things together so quick.

Flight leaves at 7:00 a.m., time to get some rest soon.

Congratulations. I had a feeling it would work out and was hoping as happens in some cases, the definition of rust is quite different between someone from AZ and someone from the rust belt.

Guest Erlyriv

Finally back home, I'll try and post some pic's when the car gets here.I've got a cd of pic's Mike took, I'll look though those too.

A Silver 65 GS just went up for sale on Craigslist in LA, Cali. Supposedly Dick Sweeny knows about this car. It looks like a fairly nice car.

Dick does know about it, I think he sold a previous owner the block that is in it. I had it looked at last year before the current owner bought it, when it was only about $20k.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Erlyriv

Car did get here on Thurs., had some minor isues. Looks like it needs new voltage regulator.Had some issues driving it home.

Spent some time going over car this weekend. Will need new tires soon, windshield wiper blades and having hard time trying to get some over spray of the grill.Looks like the gril is chromed on the outher edge, and painted on the interior.Afraid to use any thing too harsh, which may take the gray paint off. Once the regulator gets fixed, need to adjust he carbs and linkage.Hopefully by the end of the week , it will be ready for a cruise.

Yes, I'll get some pics up soon. :)

Guest Kingsley

Erlyriv - I am deep into Reattas but check the Riviera forum from time to time as you might refer to the two cars as "cousins" in a way.

I do a lot of work with the retractable headlight assemblies on the Reattas and note your concern about the headlights on a 60's Riviera. Just curious, what are your concerns?

Thanks.

Guest Erlyriv

The one I have has some loose mounting screws in the headlight housing. Looks like maybe it may have been broke and repaired. Headlight still wiggles in the housing, so looks like I may have to replace that section. Not a '65, so no issues with the clam shells. I was hesitant to go the '65 route becuase of the clam shells having some issues with the vacum activated system. Maybe my concerns with those were not warranted.

Are the screws just loose or are the mounting holes stripped? I don't remember if they screw into plastic or capture nuts. If it is in plastic and they are stripped, I have fixed that by removing the screws and putting glue into the holes, then re-drilling the holes. I hope you can get it fixed.

The '65 clamshells are motorized with mechanical linkage. The problem is that the motor goes out. I have seen an actuator ram used and it looks like a great update - probably what I'll do for mine.