Who are some well known and trusted Nailhead Rebuilders?

Rob J

Looking to have my LX 425 properly rebuilt by a pro.

Looking for a list of known and trusted experts in the field. Also would like to have the carbs rebuilt properly.

I've heard of a couple of guys, but am interested in seeing who you guys recommend.

Thanks.

There is a fellow trying to sell an x code 425 on Buick Buy/Sell and the shop that did his sounded pretty good. I would do a search in there and contact that seller.

I had my engine rebuilt by my local napa and they did a wonderful job. The engine runs perfectly and they completely backed up their work telling me that if anything goes wrong regarding the rebuild they'd fix it. I'm not sure if he (the mechanic that rebuilt it) put hardened seats in but he did say the seats were a special seat for the crappy gas we have now or something along those lines.

I monitor three other forums, each of which deals with the nailhead engine itself rather than any particular model of car. The consensus on hardened seats is unanimous. Don't do it. First of all, there's enough nickel content in the iron from which the nailhead is cast that today's gas does not create a problem for the valve seats. Second, when installing hardened seats, you get dangerously close to the water jacket and the risk is not worth the loss of the head.

The general consensus of the engine builders on these forums is that if your mechanic is insisting on installing hardened valve seats, he's just pumping up the $$$$ that he's making.

Check them out by searching the archives.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NailHeadBuick/msearch?query=hardened+valve+seats&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1

There are 224 posts on the subject here. Worth reading

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?76-Nailhead-264-322-364-401-425l]

http://v8buick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9]

The first is a dedicated nailhead group.

The last two have forums dedicated to the nailhead engine as a part of a larger site.

I'm not expressing my own opinion here, just passing along the consensus of the other members of these groups. There are quite a few references to engine builders on these forums if you're still looking.

Ed

I don't think you would go wrong by letting Tom do your work for you. I've read a lot of posts by him on the aforementioned forums and I've heard him speak in person as a tech advisor at the ROA's annual event in Hershey last year.

While he's at it, let him talk you into installing a set of his roller rockers on your car.

Ed

I was so broke when I had my engine rebuilt 23 years ago I could not afford the extra $$ to switch to hardened valve seats recommended by the machine shop. One time when a skimp put me in a better situation.

I don't think you would go wrong by letting Tom do your work for you. I've read a lot of posts by him on the aforementioned forums and I've heard him speak in person as a tech advisor at the ROA's annual event in Hershey last year.

While he's at it, let him talk you into installing a set of his roller rockers on your car.

Ed

Ed

Although I no longer have a Buick with a nailhead in it in my collection, I appreciate that you explained why a person should not use hardened valve seats. I'm always curious and want to know more when someone just says "don't do it".

As for roller rockers in general, I have done a lot of research and as long as it is stock appearing, every rebuild should go with roller rockers in my opinion. It's a simple way to create efficiency, increase gas mileage and hp, although slight.

I plan to have roller rockers underneath both of my 455's.

Archived