The front end creaks on my '67 Mustang. Can't lubricate the upper A-Arms because the fittings are against the shock towers. Would like to pull the A-Arms to install 90 degree fittings. Can't find the proper spring compressor. Has any one ever removed the spring by jacking the car, compressing the spring with a floor jack, undoing the upper ball joint and slowly lowering the jack?

I did it once with a GT Hawk, but does work with a Mustang? :(

The front end creaks on my '67 Mustang. Can't lubricate the upper A-Arms because the fittings are against the shock towers. Would like to pull the A-Arms to install 90 degree fittings. Can't find the proper spring compressor. Has any one ever removed the spring by jacking the car, compressing the spring with a floor jack, undoing the upper ball joint and slowly lowering the jack?

I did it once with a GT Hawk, but does work with a Mustang? :(

This is what you need

140.jpg

mustang spring compressor items - Get great deals on Coil Springs items on eBay Motors!

Jim

66-67 Mustangs and Falcons were prone to that. In fact, they were recalled and the factory's fix was to take a torch and cut a hole in the shock tower to access the fittings. My Ranchero has the "repair" done to it. Yours must have missed out!

• 2 weeks later...

ve started removing the a-arms and installing 90 degree fittings. I'm having problems because I'm not using the right rig. I think I'll buy the one suggested above.

I have been turning wrenches a bunch of years and found out along time ago.. it is much easier with the right tool.. good move..

What happened here is a fellow Mustang owner lent me a set of coil spring compressors for struts. They work on the outside of the spring. Everything went well until I ytied to release them. One wouldn't. The screw bit in the lip collar and acted like it was threades. I had to borrow another set made of threaded rods to hold the spring while I removed my friend's tool.

Then I ordered the one in the posting above.

Julian, you are absolutely right.

• 2 weeks later...

That tool works really well. It fits where the shock goes and with the thrust bearing is real easy to crank. Pictures show it at the top & bottom starting to pull the spring up. Turned control arm out & installed 90 degree fitting.

Hooligan, I am waiting for the spring insulators you describe to put everything back together.

post-59904-143138516548_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14313851655_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138516552_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138516554_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...