Sign in to follow this  
Landman

1967 Mustang front end

The front end creaks on my '67 Mustang. Can't lubricate the upper A-Arms because the fittings are against the shock towers. Would like to pull the A-Arms to install 90 degree fittings. Can't find the proper spring compressor. Has any one ever removed the spring by jacking the car, compressing the spring with a floor jack, undoing the upper ball joint and slowly lowering the jack?

I did it once with a GT Hawk, but does work with a Mustang? :(

The front end creaks on my '67 Mustang. Can't lubricate the upper A-Arms because the fittings are against the shock towers. Would like to pull the A-Arms to install 90 degree fittings. Can't find the proper spring compressor. Has any one ever removed the spring by jacking the car, compressing the spring with a floor jack, undoing the upper ball joint and slowly lowering the jack?

I did it once with a GT Hawk, but does work with a Mustang? :(

This is what you need

140.jpg

mustang spring compressor items - Get great deals on Coil Springs items on eBay Motors!

Jim

66-67 Mustangs and Falcons were prone to that. In fact, they were recalled and the factory's fix was to take a torch and cut a hole in the shock tower to access the fittings. My Ranchero has the "repair" done to it. Yours must have missed out!

A buddy of mine in high school had 2 1967 Fairlanes and they both squeaked in the front like that. He never could get the squeaks out.

I've started removing the a-arms and installing 90 degree fittings. I'm having problems because I'm not using the right rig. I think I'll buy the one suggested above.

ve started removing the a-arms and installing 90 degree fittings. I'm having problems because I'm not using the right rig. I think I'll buy the one suggested above.

I have been turning wrenches a bunch of years and found out along time ago.. it is much easier with the right tool.. good move..

What happened here is a fellow Mustang owner lent me a set of coil spring compressors for struts. They work on the outside of the spring. Everything went well until I ytied to release them. One wouldn't. The screw bit in the lip collar and acted like it was threades. I had to borrow another set made of threaded rods to hold the spring while I removed my friend's tool.

Then I ordered the one in the posting above.

Julian, you are absolutely right.

In case you have not started, they make spring coushions, the are neopreme. they fit between the spring and the top shock mount plate. Have them on several of my cares and the work great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That tool works really well. It fits where the shock goes and with the thrust bearing is real easy to crank. Pictures show it at the top & bottom starting to pull the spring up. Turned control arm out & installed 90 degree fitting.

Hooligan, I am waiting for the spring insulators you describe to put everything back together.

post-59904-143138516548_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14313851655_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138516552_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138516554_thumb.jpg

Put the springs back in using new insulators & took it for a ride. Creaks are gone!!! :)

post-59904-143138533589_thumb.jpg