'41 Cadillac - wobbly hubcaps while driving?

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

Are wobbly hub caps a typical problem with '41 Caddy's? I have the new quality repro ones from All Cads on the car and new radial tires. They balanced the wheels at the time of installation. Car rides great. I've fiddled with adjusting them, but they still wobble. Would love to hear from '41 Cadillac owners past and present on this one. Thanks!

Radial tires on original wheels are controversial. The flexing of the radial tire has been known to distort the rim. Tire walls on bias tires are more rigid reducing flexing and stress on the rims. You will probably loose a hubcap eventually. Sorry it happened to a friends 38 Caddy

Guest jimstulga

Jim again. There is no rubber at the edges of the hubcaps. They have a spring steel type of pressure fit. I don't love the design of how they fit. Prefer a cap that snaps on tight and sure. If the new radial tires are the culprit, looks like I'm going to have to live with this for a long while. They don't look horrible while driving, but have a somewhat wobbly off center look if you focus attention on them. Something that is not quite right. Thanks for your input everyone.

Your problem is that you don't have the rubber snubbers. The center of the full wheel hubcaps clip onto the metal clips near the lug nuts. The outer edge of the cap should have the rubber blocks that push the outer edge equal distant from the bead of the rim and they prevent the wobble. Lynn Steele has them listed, but you might check with All Cads. You need 5 per hub cap.

Guest jimstulga

Thank you, JDOME!! This sounds like the answer I was looking for. I read your earlier reply, but got distracted with the radial tire opinions. I'll call All Cads this week. Thanks again. Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Csteve300

I had a problem with a 51 Pontiac with stock wheels and stock wheelcovers. They flew off! I was unable to get the stock wheelcovers to hold despite tricks like duct tape on the rim to add grip. The only solution was aftermarket wheelcovers. I have been told that the radial tires caused the problem.

Guest R-ajax peterson

Flying Hubcaps..../_--/--/_--/.///...when I was twelve, I loved them!! My best bud and I lived by the "Meritt Parkway" in CT. Saturday mornings were spent walking the Pkwy ...the wood posts with stretched cable......Pikin' em up. "Glass" centers......SCORE!!!!