Can someone help identify a 1940's Willys 4 door

Guest Jefferzbooboo

Guest Jefferzbooboo

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but could someone help identify this Willys. I got told if I haul it away I can have it. I'm assuming early 40's because of the front end. The only identification for model I can find is Deluxe on the dashboard. Its a 4 door model. If more pics are needed, let me know what to take a picture of to help identify.

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1711.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

Guest Jefferzbooboo

Thanks for the info! So is the model a Sedan Deluxe? I've been thinking about turning it into a resto rod, unless its a very rare car, then I'd rather see it go to a collector.

Resto rod Willys are the norm. Un-molested ones are the stand outs. Don't know what the four door values are but recently a two door was running on ebay. Nice looking car, all stock. Forgot to see how the auction went but numbers were at $80,000 plus last I looked.

That's why it is smart you are checking before the hot rod word gets too deep in your mind.

Guest Jefferzbooboo

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sad part is the owner said the interior was in good shape until 3 years ago someone shot out the windows and he did nothing to fix it. The motor is free, but in no where near running condition. Its been parked for over 40 years. This would be my first hot rod if I was to rod it, I have restored 2 Model A Sedans and a Studebaker Lark but they were mostly complete. For restoration I think it might be over my head, and parts seem expensive and hard to come by. Theres not very much cancer, but where there is its at some very tough curves. So i'm up in the air about what to do about it.

Guest Jefferzbooboo

I'm in no hurry to do anything with the car. I'll have to check over the car more closely to see how bad it is and if its too far out of my skill level I'll get rid of it and pass it on to someone that can. It seems like a rare care that I'm gonna restore it if I keep it, but it looks like parts are gonna be expensive and alot of custom stuff. I do have a milling machine and a turning lathe, so if I do need to make some parts I can as long as their not to extreme. can someone help clarify whats the difference between a regular and deluxe, I've notice the hump in the trunk, is there anything else?

You have a "DELUXE" Sedan as denoted by the Stainless Trim on the hood and the body. Also, vent windows on the Deluxe and the Column Mounted Gear Selector. There will be a "DeLuxe" badge on the dash, possibly a radio, deluxe cloth upholstery etc. The 1937-39s had the "Flat" trunk lid; not sure about the 1940s. The lower trim level cars were called "Speedway" and had a floor mounted shifter. Those are some of the differences that I am aware of. If you want to send me the "DATA" Code (Serial #) info, I could decode it for you? It is located on the Passenger Side Firewall when you open the hood. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest Jefferzbooboo
Do you still have the Willys?

I still have it, it's on blocks right now. I haven't really tried to sell it, kind of forgot about it honestly.