ATF for Hydramatic

Guest oldbill

Guest oldbill

My old 49 Olds shifts great but I have to check the fluid, and as long as I am going to the trouble* I would like to know if todays dexron III or some other fluid would be correct to add or maybe change over to? * Access is supposed to be from under the drivers side floor.

Guest oldbill

Thanks a lot! I would have been really unhappy to remove that slab of iron that the previous owner stuck on the drivers side floor board only to find there was no access to the trans.

Guest oldbill

Thanks a lot! I would have removed the slab of iron the previous owner stuck under the drivers side floor boards and found nothing. You have saved me some grief.

Guest oldbill

I wish! the old floor board on drivers side was replaced with sheet iron without any access, but I doubt the master cylinder would have been accessable from there as it seems to be forward of the flat part of the floor by about 8" so the only access is from under the car or above from behind the steering column... Pain either way! Maybe I sould trade it in for a Caddy?

Original HydraMatic "D" type 1940-1956, and Controlled Coupling HydraMatic ( Pontiac calls it Strato Flight and later Super HydraMatic---Olds calls it Jetaway and Cadillac calls it 315 or P-315 )1956-1964, and Roto HydraMatic model 5 and 10 (1961-1964) ALL used Type "A" fluid when new. Dexron became a substitute. Type "A" was the best, but because it used one of the best lubricants now banned :eek:, Dexron is your replacement choice.

Don

Guest oldbill

Thanks for the history lesson. I think my transmission is called a Futurematic? I just wonder if should be drained and if there is a filter to be replaced? if I ever need to do that. For now it seems to shift fine, I just thought it is about time to check the fluid level. What was that secret ingredient in type "A"?

Thanks for the history lesson. I think my transmission is called a Futurematic? I just wonder if should be drained and if there is a filter to be replaced? if I ever need to do that. For now it seems to shift fine, I just thought it is about time to check the fluid level. What was that secret ingredient in type "A"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think what your referring to is script on the rocker molding which says FUTRURAMIC. Futuramic is a termed used by Olds in 48 on the Ninety Eight (the new body) and in all models in 1950. It is known as Futuramic styling. The script on Olds cars of that era for HydraMatic was on the trunk next to the trunk handle. On all my daily driver cars engine oil is replaced every 2,000 miles with a filter, auto trans and rear differential every 10,000, brake fluid once a year, coolant once a year. On my antique vehicles the engine oil is changed every six months, trans and differential every two years, coolant and brake fluid once a year.

The secret is whale oil. That is why on some Japanese vehicles even into the late 90's their automatic's could only use factory supplied trans fluid.

Enjoy your car, it's one of my favorites !!!;)

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)