1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

• 2 months later...

Weather changing and still so much rain!  Haven’t had the car out, but still working hard regardless. ?

15 years ago when I build the garage, i never taped and finished the sheetrock.  So, have been taking down shelves, re-organizing, mudding and painting my way around the garage.

It is amazing how much “stuff” we accumulate.  Been throwing out a lot of stuff that was out of date, or was for reference during my build and long forgotten about.  

Also, listed a few things for sale here and there.

Matt

86671684-721B-4C42-B847-234189B714C5.jpeg

2BF6136E-15AF-46C4-9DDE-F8873974D010.jpeg

BD83F651-0094-4734-B803-82D2C15DF7DC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

So, haven’t reported anything in my convertible in awhile. Been driving the hell out of it.  

So, this Sunday, the 21st, is our AACA region meet and will have the car on the field for the first time this year.

All of the hydraulic cylinders and lines have been replaced, the valves rebuilt and a rebuilt Moraine pump.

So, yesterday, my son helped me mount the pump under the fender, I wired it up and tested function before filling with atf.

Filled with atf and cycled the top up, and back down.  HOW EXCITING!  Next was to try to see if the windows would work.  The drivers window cycled up about 1/4 of the travel, so I let it down and tried again.  The second time it went 1/2 way up.  So, I checked the reservoir and tried one more time and the top valve blew out the seal and drenched under the dash and the carpet.

Pulled out the carpet and took to the carwash to wash all of the atf out of the carpet.  Left outside in the sun all day to dry..

Will take out the valve to see what happened and see how much pressure the pump was pushing.  Supposedly, the pressure was set by the rebuilder, and the top worked well.  Hopefully is just a failure in the valve.

More to come

22 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

So, haven’t reported anything in my convertible in awhile. Been driving the hell out of it.  

So, this Sunday, the 21st, is our AACA region meet and will have the car on the field for the first time this year.

All of the hydraulic cylinders and lines have been replaced, the valves rebuilt and a rebuilt Moraine pump.

So, yesterday, my son helped me mount the pump under the fender, I wired it up and tested function before filling with atf.

Filled with atf and cycled the top up, and back down.  HOW EXCITING!  Next was to try to see if the windows would work.  The drivers window cycled up about 1/4 of the travel, so I let it down and tried again.  The second time it went 1/2 way up.  So, I checked the reservoir and tried one more time and the top valve blew out the seal and drenched under the dash and the carpet.

Pulled out the carpet and took to the carwash to wash all of the atf out of the carpet.  Left outside in the sun all day to dry..

Will take out the valve to see what happened and see how much pressure the pump was pushing.  Supposedly, the pressure was set by the rebuilder, and the top worked well.  Hopefully is just a failure in the valve.

More to come

You'll figure it out, no doubt.

After talking with Hydro E Lectric, the bakelite was reused, and not replaced because it looked ok.  So, I asked it replacements are available, but they are currently out of stock. My name is on the list for a replacement.  

Meanwhile, I found another valve in my spares that the bakelite is not cracked on. So, I have everything to check the pump pressure with and will do so tonight.  Will have to disassemble this other valve, clean and inspect for cracks after I return from vacation.

Matt

1 hour ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

After talking with Hydro E Lectric, the bakelite was reused, and not replaced because it looked ok.  So, I asked it replacements are available, but they are currently out of stock. My name is on the list for a replacement.  

Meanwhile, I found another valve in my spares that the bakelite is not cracked on. So, I have everything to check the pump pressure with and will do so tonight.  Will have to disassemble this other valve, clean and inspect for cracks after I return from vacation.

Matt

Could this be scanned and 3-D printed?

So, removed the pressure line and hooked up a gage dead heading the pressure to check full pressure on the pump. Had a steady 255-260 psi which should be well within the range of the system. I will try lowering somewhere between 220-230 psi when I return from vacation.  Then I will revise the other valve I have and swap some parts around and try again.

Matt

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow!  Been a Long time since I posted about the car.  
I promised myself that this year, the top, windows and all would work with the hydraulics. I first started with the drivers door.  Re- aligned the window frame, installed all of the glass wipers on the door sills and managed to make it go up and down.  Three days later, I finally was happy with my adjustments that I put the panel back on the door and moved on to

the passenger side. Same thing and three days later.  
I also noticed that the drivers rear quarter window was hanging on the convertible

top as I rolled it up.  Another good reason for having all of the shop manuals for a car.  One quick adjustment in the back and presto magico proper clearance.

There is only one thing left to do with the quarter windows and that is the seals that mount to the top. 4 parts cars to put mine together and still missing a part.

• Like 1

Have put about 1700 miles on her so far this year. Have been organizing Sunday runs for our local AACA.  Was out last week.  Stopped at a stoplight, took off and had no third gear.  GONE!  
Crawled home in second gear 25 miles, in the dark. But, at least we made it home ok.

Pulled the rear/torque tube assy and dropped the tranny.  Popped the top and encountered this.  At least nothing horribly wrong. Had the piece welded.  (Was previously repaired by someone else before). Re-ground the angle to fit and have clearance and reassembled the tranny.

While it was out, I had purchased a Set of 3.60 gears for the rear years prior.  Figured I might as well change them out while had it out.  

Enjoy the pics

887DFEB5-D7EA-40B8-B3DD-E6339DFB1437.jpeg

89E2A984-D55F-4DC9-B3C0-B6FA65614D54.jpeg

B2EF516F-E7CB-481A-83E1-30ED9FD07BA1.jpeg

• Like 1

Tranny together and full of oil.  Didnt take any assembly pictures.  Car drives really nice. Seems like the linkage is a little tighter than before. 

I took advantage of the fact My back was already ripped to pieces from being under the car so much and repainted underneath the car the burnt red primer.  Have to go back and touch up the frame in a few

spots.  But very happy with it.

Matt

FBE45E33-CE7C-4046-A7CF-99A68B0F0846.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 years later...

Hey Matt, I'm looking at your differential cover plate and the position of your drain.  Is it in the lowest position, that is straight down?  I ran into a guy that has his rotated to about the 8:00 position and I wondered which is correct.  He said his car came like that and the higher oil level allows the lube to travel to the outer axle bearings.  Any comment, I'd like to hear from you.

Ken