jackofalltrades70

1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

Been forever since I posted.......i have re-painted all of the spots I burnt through the clear and applied three more coats of clear. I have ordered the new weatherstrip for under the hood and should have it Tuesday. New hydraulic cylinders are being ordered Monday.

I have obligated myself to finish as much as possible because the 47' is now registered to attend Allentown 2016. It might not be finished, but will be there under its own power.

• Like 5

Matt, glad to hear from you again! I was wondering how you and the project are doing. I too am registered to Allentown next year, hopefully I will see you there.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

I went back and looked at the pictures of the car that you started with.  AMAZING progress!  Keep up the good work!

Weatherstripping for under hood and bumpers arrived Wednesday. Hydraulic cylinders ordered this afternoon. Still wet sanding and buffing. Starting to look like something!

Hopefully will finish the front end and cowl section tomorrow so I can start installing the wiring harness.

Anyone have any "under the hood" pictures of the routing of wires on the 47' convertible?

Matt

I found that good light was essential to do proper buffing. I did a section that I thought looked right, then in strong sunlight it didn't look so great.

Nice to be ale to put more parts back on the body, it makes one feel as though it will be a complete car again soon.

Looking good, Matt!

Keith

I had an hour or so tonight, so started off by mounting the newly rebuilt carb. Then, I fished the wiring harness through the firewall and wired up everything under the hood. The coil is back in place and through the firewall also.

Only one picture

post-114311-0-16433100-1443749641_thumb.

• Like 1

Trying to organize all of the chrome and inventory it. Bbqing at same time and drinking blackberry moonshine. Inventory tomorrow.....

Nothing wrong with any of the above

I have 80% inventoried, with pictures. Will finish tomorrow. There is a lot of chrome on one of these babies! Then there's the stainless trim. Quite another story which we will visit soon as the restoration is heating up while the temperatures drop!

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

Made it to Hershey this morning. Got three quotes and made my decision. Chrome will be ready in 8-10 weeks. My wallet is VERY sore right now, but I am glad I was able to shop the best quality and price options at the same time.

All of the chrome parts. Bumpers, radio grill, door handles, windshield frames, convertible top irons, etc. the stainless parts, I will repair/polish myself. I chose a company based on price,lead-time and quality of parts they had on hand. I will not and cannot say good or bad until I get my parts back in 10 weeks or so.

My son is asking when he gets his arm back, by the way.......

Looks great - I wish I was at your point in the process !  On the chrome - what are you doing with the convertible top lock pins at the top of the windshield ? I am getting close to that point in my disassembly and I was wondering about it.  Also, did you drill out the rivets that hold together the chromed top irons ?  Can you get replacement rivets ? 

Got my new green tint glass for the car today. Worked on the driver side quarter buffing a little more.

Also, turned the engine over with a 12

V battery to lube things up again. Will order the new 6v tomorrow. Getting closer.....

• Like 1

Well, I have the battery. I have a little more hand buffing to do on the dash. 8 more weeks for the chrome. I have everything except the bumpers paid for. Need to fab up a positive battery cable and figure out a length for the negative strap.

I have tried on several occasions to get the fuel pump mounted. Thus the reason for spinning the motor a bit. Beginning to wonder if they didn't send me the wrong pump. God, hope I didn't do something wrong in the engine.

Matt