1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Matt,

I have a nearly complete original interior from a '48 56C. I saved all the original pieces after I put in a Hampton Coach interior when I restored my car some years back. I have the all the door panels, rear seating area panels and top well lining panels. I would be happy to loan them to you if you're interested. I'm located near York, PA. Good luck with your project.

Mike Lawson

More bodywork today! And, what a beautiful day it was!:) 55deg! So, I opened the doors on the garage to have some fresh air while I worked. Curiosity got the best of two of my neighbors, so I had some company for a little while. They were wondering what all of the metal banging has been the last couple of weeks and much to their amazement, they saw a totally different car than they saw come off of the trailer and into the garage! Many compliments were made of my progress and my "ego" went through the roof!

I'm taking my time with this and I've heard that the deeper and darker the color, the more imperfections stand out in paint. Even though my car is gonna be a driver, I want it to be as nice as I can make it!

What primer/sealer is recommended? I'm getting close to thinking about finalizing things before paint. So, I figured I would post that question. Thanks and look forward to all comments.

Thanks Matt:D

Matt, I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, some great inspiration to me and I am sure to others also. Gotta ask though, you're making great progress, is this a weekend project or are you working on it pretty much daily or?

in regards to wives...My wife and I were happy for 20 years...then we met:rolleyes::o.....:D;) just kiddin, I got lucky and got the best one in the world.

Matt, I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, some great inspiration to me and I am sure to others also. Gotta ask though, you're making great progress, is this a weekend project or are you working on it pretty much daily or?

in regards to wives...My wife and I were happy for 20 years...then we met:rolleyes::o.....:D;) just kiddin, I got lucky and got the best one in the world.

Lamar,

Thanks for the comments. I work on the car when I can. Weekends always seem to be the ideal time where I can work on it the most. I usually get up at 6:30 every other Saturday and 6:30 every Sunday, head out to the garage and work 4-5 hours before everyone in the house wakes up and then I make breakfast. I have to work every other Saturday for 1/2 day. This weekend, I got up around 9am both days, but still got a lot done. (at least in my eyes). I'll try to post some pictures later.

Some days during the week, I'll get out in the garage for an hour or so and piddle with some bodywork.:D Matt

Pictures as promised! Might not look like much, but I see a lot of advancements. No more bullet holes anywheres! Cannot even see where they were. As I work away at the panels, I keep finding little dingers and dents here and there that keep me from finishing. The door and fender extensions are probably the worst and most work right now. The big caved in area behind the passenger door is done. Matt:D

post-72076-14313887081_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870818_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870826_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870835_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870843_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870851_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138870859_thumb.jpg

O.K. I haven't posted for awhile, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on the Buick! I have almost finished the bodywork on all of the door pontoons, body extensions and fender extentions. I have started fitting in the dash and have got the steering column back in.

Yesterday, I stumbled across my hydraulic pump for the top. I took it all apart, got it cleaned up, etc. and bench tested the unit. Works great. Nice pressure. Just need to get a new bowl seal and a correct gage. The one I used was from work. Now I just need to clean it again, paint it and then it will be on the shelf awaiting assembly of the car.

Today, I started coating under the trunk pan and above the rear axle with Miracle paint. First coating is on and it looks good. I also painted the rear fender area. I hope to coat the underside of all pontoons and fenders tomorrow or Sunday.

Tomorrow, I hope to buy all new lines to start bending and installing the hydraulic seat and cylinder lines. Then I can get the cowl insulation cover back in.

I know, a lot of info and things done, but no pictures yet. I'm looking for window retainers for the doors. My Roadmaster doesn't have them and the ones in the Super are different.

Matt:)

Wow, time flies...............Rolled the Buick out of the garage today for some cleanup and organizing of the garage. Another beautiful day! Blew the sanding dust off of everything in the garage, washed down the floors and cleaned the dust off the Buick. Mounted the gas tank back under the car. Started wet sanding the main body of the car. I found one of the bottom window retaining channels for the car. Still have to find another.

I still need to see if I can get the line material for the hydraulic lines. My local store didn't have any available!!?? Just a small section.

Talk about drawing attention.....Had a lot of people comment driving by the house and quite a few thumbs up from people looking as they passed by. Makes ya feel fuzzy all over inside! Matt

Guest rmh8400

I am new here, have a '47 buick like yours. It is inside the barn, all intact, body no rust & original paint. Now I think too late in life to start so want to find a good home (and some cash, too...lol). Any idea who might want this if you don't? And what is fair asking price? I think the engine needs a head gasket, but we never opened it up. randyhennigar@yahoo.com thanks.

Drug the fender skirts out of the attic in the garage, removed the stainless and started dent removal process. They are really straight and look nice now. Then I said to myself, "Self, you need to make sure these fit the fenders before you prime/paint the fenders." So, I had to bolt the fenders back onto the car, then position the skirts. Wow, my "fat bottom girl" is lookin' really sexy with her skirt on.

I also started working with some of the chrome and stainless trim. Here's the radio grill.:D

post-72076-143138905936_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the bodywork. I pulled the extensions off of the rockers to work on them and found a bad spot on the rocker panel passenger side. Not that bad, just a setback. I have most of the rest of the bodywork done and my plan is to have everything ready for the high build primer for next week. The weather has been cooler and windy, so I've not been out in the garage too much. Work has really been wearing me out these last 3 weeks, but I see light at the end of the tunnel. The front end will come home next week and then I get to start the bodywork on it, although it's not that bad. More pictures at a later date. Not had time. Matt:)

Another fine afternoon outside, working on my wonderful Buick! I found some soft spots on the door that I hadn't seen before and while I was on that side, I tackled the rocker panel rust and a small section behind the door jamb, which is under the pontoon behind the door. My welding skills are improving greatly!:D I'm really proud of the repairs today! :D I even have pictures to show.

I also owed a picture of my "fat-bottom girl" with her skirts being fitted. :P She looks pretty nice with them on! I figured that now would be much more appropriate, than finding out later that something was twisted or not right after paint!:eek:

Well, enjoy the pictures and hope everyone had a great Easter! Matt:D

post-72076-143138920074_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920081_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920089_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920096_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920103_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920111_thumb.jpg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

Wonderful day @ Hershey on Saturday. Saw quite a few cars out and about at some little car shows here and there. Sunday I worked on the front clip removing a really nasty boo-boo that was put in the front fender somehow or another before I got it.

I worked on the clip some more today, and managed to "manuver" it into place and bolt it back on the car. It Fits!!!!!!!!!! I still have more work to do to it, but I was needing floor space in the other stall of the garage for the hood and rear fenders and pontoons, etc.

Also received the cowl insulator from Bob's and popped a picture of it. Just have to finish the hydraulic lines and it will go in.

Still waiting........................7 weeks later for the wiring harness........3-4 weeks is a really long time.

Progress is good! Matt:D

post-72076-143138929015_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929022_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929029_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929037_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929044_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929052_thumb.jpg

hood is now in primer. did dental work for 6.5 hours today. repairing the mustache bar was a chore in itself. Still not completely happy with it. still have 1/2 of the teeth to go and will probably work on some more details on the teeth before I start polishing them. I'll post pictures when I get further along. Interior material is ordered so I can make door panels and cover the seats. Matt:)

Worked on the Mustache bar some more tonight. Am almost done with the hydraulic lines. I hope to start installing them tomorrow, then I think the firewall insulator goes in, then wiring. Narragansett shipped my NEW harness:cool: this afternoon and I should have it in a day or two.:D Carpet material and kit should be here in a couple of weeks. Gosh, got a lot to accomplish in a little while. Matt

Matt, your body work is looking fantastic! That is gonna be one totally awesome car. That can be seen in it's lines through the pics you've taken. I am most impressed! You gotta be proud of that ole girl!

John, I'm trying my best to make it as nice as I possibly can! Sometimes I feel as if I'm going overboard, but If getting it right takes a month or so more, then that's what it takes.

I worked some more on the mustache bar tonight when I got home. I was actually able to get some shine back out of the stainless and it looks much better than it did. I will post pictures tomorrow of that.

Looks like, if UPS comes through, I'll have my wiring harness tomorrow. I am almost finished with the hydraulic lines and need to get them back in the car.

I'll get back to the grill and work on the teeth some more. I need to get it wrapped up, and back together so I can finish up some bodywork on the hood. Found a couple of dingers. Also, both front fenders behind the wheel wells are folded where the car had been picked up by forklift. Gotta get those two spots massaged back into form.

Have a Buickful day tomorrow! Matt:D

John, I'm trying my best to make it as nice as I possibly can! Sometimes I feel as if I'm going overboard, but If getting it right takes a month or so more, then that's what it takes.

Have a Buickful day tomorrow! Matt:D

I would say this is one of those cars that excells when done right and suffers from minute misattention to details. So in my humble opinion, I would think you can't go overboard, and I think this is gonna be one beautiful car.

Well, I'm tickled pink! Got the wiring harness, took it out of the box and snapped a picture of everything in the bags! I went ahead and ran the harness in the body from the cowl to the tail lights. Sure is nice to see things going back in the car!:rolleyes: I am almost done with the hydraulic lines. I need to go get a few more fittings, guess I miscalculated. I now have the mustache bar of the grill sanded out, (see picture) and now I need to work on the teeth. Next comes the final polishing. I knocked the dents and dings out, sanded with 100grit, then 220, 500, 1000 and 1200 wet sanded. The teeth need a little more work. They were probably worse than the bar because so many were damaged.

I now can appreciate all of the fine work that Smartin does!:) I've got more on my plate now and this weekend will be very, very busy my friends.

Matt:D

post-72076-143138941501_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941509_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941517_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941525_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941534_thumb.jpg

Got about 4 hours of work on my girl today. Had to stop to help a neighbor fix a flooded basement and replace some water lines.:eek: Was nice to have the girl out in the sun today................I enjoyed it as much as she did. Looking better all the time. I have all day tomorrow so, we'll see what I manage to do tomorrow. Matt

post-72076-143138943032_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313894304_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138943047_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138943056_thumb.jpg

Got all of the chromed pieces off the car and rounded up to start assesment and repair any large damages that I can before I start checking with shops to see how much it is gonna set me back. I was able to take out most of the dents in the top of the door moldings and straighten the rest of the pieces. Now I have to pull out the two sets of bumpers I have to decide which is in the best condition.

Wow, you wouldn't believe the rust under all of the chromed steel pieces on the doors and above the rear windows. All of that is taken care of now.

I received the carpet set Friday!!!:) Only thing is, it isn't for my convertible.:eek: Both the front section and the rear section weren't wide enough for the car. :mad: Almost 2 inches too narrow between the doors. Will have to call on Monday to see what they are gonna do about that!

Still have more bodywork to do and plenty of stainless trim to work on.:D

Pictures when I have something worth showing. Have a great rest of your weekend everyone! Matt

Matt, she sure is looking good! Bummer on your carpet set, just more time in the logistics train, that's all. Hopefully they will make it good for you. It is a blast watching it all go back together, that is for sure! Keep us posted with pictures. We love pictures.

Matt, she sure is looking good! Bummer on your carpet set, just more time in the logistics train, that's all. Hopefully they will make it good for you. It is a blast watching it all go back together, that is for sure! Keep us posted with pictures. We love pictures.

Took a lot of pictures and measurements for Kanter today so they can try to figure out what went wrong. I have no worries as I am quite certain that they are gonna fix the problem with the carpet. They seem to be good to work with, so we'll see.

Raining tonight so I really didn't have any gumption to do anything else. Looking for somewhere close to here that does GOOD chrome work so I can take and pick up the parts.

Matt

Can't you go the DUCT TAPE ROUTE? It might look COOL, nice silver bands near the stainless door sill trim. It would WIPE up nice when dirty, maybe. Second thought, how about colored tape to match?

How about attaching a PORTA-POWER and stretching?

Not funny is it, I agree, I bet they take care of you.

Dale in Indy

Guest NickySixx

Hey Matt, Let me know where you get your chroming done! My Buick is in PA at my fathers house as well and we need chroming done. It's actually close to you.

Kanter was very responsive when I talked with them today! Very impressed by their customer service and the quick response. After revising all of the pictures and measurements, they are making another set for my car. That is what customer service is about!

I also had a very nice conversation with Mr Bob Coker today. What a wonderful person. Great personality and cannot wait for Hershey to actually sit down and talk a little more.

I actually have a very nice set of bumpers with very minimal damages. I will try to repair the few dents that are on the bumper horns.

More news later................................

Thanks to progoofoff, I finally have a seat frame with which to work with. I pulled the old covers, (plural) off of the frame. Leopard skin, grey vinyl and cloth. Original and 2 covers. Took some time to analyze the situation, but I was able to cut parts off of another frame on the top, the power seat section and weld everything together. Had to cut holes for the seat switch and the courtesy lights. You get the jist from the pictures. First set of pictures first.......... Matt:eek:

post-72076-143138974819_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974826_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974834_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974841_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313897485_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974859_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974867_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, are those ever the coolest courtesy lights! They look just like the projector beam fog lights on my BMW. "Gee, darlin', are your feet cold? Let me warm them for you. Click." Your seat frame ends look terrific.

I installed leopard skin seat covers in a '65 Coupe de Ville I used to have, in which the white leather bucket seats were worn right out. They looked perfect in that car. Comfy, too.

I took apart both of the upper seat backs tonight and removed all of the 3 layers of upholstery from them. The original fabric was in pretty decent shape so I am gonna be able to get some good patterns. Now.....................gonna learn how to sew..................Nothing I've done so far has skeered me, so sewing should be a walk in the park........:P

post-72076-143138976591_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138976601_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313897661_thumb.jpg