Can you ID the early car in this old photo?

db34

American Underslung is my guess. Notice how the leaf springs are mounted below the frame--only a handful of cars did that.

Pete Phillips

Pete, does your screen need cleaning? I think you meant to say the frame was mounted below the springs on an American Underslung, thus the name. I see the conventional frame above the springs in this picture.

Howard Dennis

Guest De Soto Frank

I'm sticking by Mercedes... second choice: big FIAT.

At any rate, it looks like a big car for the period, and of European origins...

Caspar - I did notice that badge right in front of the windshield, but cannot make-out what it reads...

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

If you check Mercedes cars of this era you will see that they have a thre pointed star on the radiator - like this one - http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mercedes/09_Mercedes_Simplex_Tourer_DV-06_PB_01.jpg FIATs use a rounded/oval badge - http://image56.webshots.com/56/0/29/70/2192029700098241337rxvnjM_ph.jpg - although the car in the link is a much smaller model.

I agree that Zust used a similar badge but FIAT made many more cars than Zust.

Yes it certainly looks like an AA badge on the cowl.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

But the hood-former / cowl looks like most like Zust out of the cars I've been able to find on Google Images... ?

Hi,

Would agree that the badge at the windscreen does indeed look like a British AA badge. It appears to have the 'wings' at the top so it is post 1911. Initial reaction is that it is not a British car. Badge looks off centre so could be oval and therefore FIAT. Fiat also had a more straight bonnet top. Benz and Mercedes had the top more curved. Front axle is straighter. Not putting money on it but leaning towards a Fiat 1911 tippo 2.

Regards

Vintman

The Tipo 2 is only a 15hp car. I think this is more like 30hp+. I reckon this car is a bit earlier - maybe 1909 or so. I don't know when FIAT started that Tipo series of models which went on through the teens, but before that there was quite a mix of different models and it may not be possible to nail this one down exactly.

The difficult part with Zusts of that era is that there do not seem to be any surviving examples of the bigger models. It would be interesting to know if the Zust which has been restored to look like the NewYork-Paris car is the same size as the original.

Unfortunately the Italian cars of this era all looked much the same - Mercedes influenced. Even the Italas looked like this. I know from reading about them that they did a full range of models and redesigned the cars every year.

Hi,

Have been in contact with our experts who agree with NZ: ......we are looking at a much larger and more powerful model. How about the Tipo 4, 5.6 litres current 1910 – 18 and this example I would agree with your date, 1912 being also possible..."

I must admit I was concentrating on not seeing the wood for the trees !

Regards

Vintman