water leak at the by-pass tube

Guest Mr.Bill

Guest Mr.Bill

Hi All I hope someone can help. I have a 58 Ford Fairlane 332 cu. engine. The previous owner put an extra temp gauge under the dash. No problem to me. Where the two sensers are screwed in are some brass fittings . A leak developed. I took the stuff apart and turned the pipe over and found a hole. None of my catalogs show this part. I'm gonna try to send pictures to show what I mean. Has anyone ever seen this arrangement? Thanks Bill

post-58272-143138488166_thumb.jpg

post-58272-143138488178_thumb.jpg

A hole in the rubber tube? replace it. A hole in the metal tube? replaceit. There is a bunch of nonstandard temp plumbing there - looks like one of those aftermaket Autozone kits - Got one on my 61 Cadillac. You could fix it to work, ie not leak. or Restore it to original.

I don't have the paart number close at hand, but this tube was common on the 58-9 332-352 motors. It presses into the intake manifold and connects to the water pump bypass tube with a piece of 7/8" hose. Over the years, replacement water pumps used 5/8" bypass tubes and the 7/8" hose is installed over a short piece of 5/8" hose. In 1960 Ford tapped a hole in the intake manifold to install the temp sensor and this methaod was abandoned. I've got some tubes and some 7/8" hose if you need it. PM me.

Carl

Guest Mr.Bill

Thanks For the info. I got some info that says Concoursparts.com may have this part. They are sending me a catalog. Now I gotta figure out whether its easier to take off the water pump or take off the manifold. It's not that I'm lazy ,its just that I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic. I appreciate all the help I get,. Thanks again Bill

Guest 38cadillacjack

also check Macs.if you arent a mech.i'd say water pump removal is easier,those manifolds are kinda tuff to get off and on without leaks of air or oil.