How much for Grandma's Park Avenue?

Guest Randy U.

Guest Randy U.

I just inherited my mother-in-law's car and have no idea how to price it for sale. It is one of those rare almost mint cars so the Kelly guides don't really do it justice. The car has just about 43000 miles so it was driven about 3000 miles a year and has only been in the snow a few times. It was garaged and serviced every 3000 miles and I put new tires on it 1000 miles ago just because the old tires were, well, old. Light blue with dark blue vinyl top (of course). So what price range is right for this? Thanks.

Guest my3buicks

The Kelly guides and similar guides would be fairly accurate for it. See what they are going for on eBay also. There are a lot of these type cars out there in similar condition as they are typically like your Grandmothers, very well cared for and are starting to hit the market.

They make very nice used cars and are comfortable and pleasurable to drive.

Guest Randy U.

Yes, I saw one on ebay for about $7000 to $8000 with similar mileage but that was the only reference I had. I guess you're right about the condition. Little old ladies loved them and they worry about driving in the rain. I actually like driving it but there were mother/daughter "issues" so I have to find it a new home.

Guest my3buicks

I would guess clean retail would be around $5K on a dealer lot - probably a bit less for a private party sale

Guest Randy U.

Too bad I can't keep it for that kind of money. The thing is perfect. I guess I could use the money and put it toward a Kia Rio. Thanks.

Guest my3buicks

The Buick will actually give you very respectable gas mileage) low 20's regular driving and low 30's on trips is not unheard of on these cars) with a ton of comfort - you could buy a lot of gas with wha it would cost you to buy the Reo over above what you would get for the Park Avenue - and when you have 200K miles on the Park Ave, you will be happy with your decision.

Depends, the n/a 3800 after 1995 (Series II) was very fuel efficient. The supercharged (std Park Ave Ultra) 3800 isn't and requires premium fuel but the L67 drivetrain is desirable for Fieros.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Yes, I saw one on ebay for about $7000 to $8000 with similar mileage but that was the only reference I had. I guess you're right about the condition. Little old ladies loved them and they worry about driving in the rain. I actually like driving it but there were mother/daughter "issues" so I have to find it a new home.

I think I would be advising someone the issues whatever they were, were not with the car. Sounds like someone needs to do a bit of growing up!

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

The 1991-2005 Buick 3.8 V-6 used in the Buick Park Avenue and LeSabre made these cars the finest ever built in modern America in my opinion. I prefer the LeSabre Limited to a plain LeSabre for creature comfort, but the Park Avenue is even better, unless it is an Ultra. I regularly get 31-32 mpg between Florida dn Virginia with my 2005 Park Avenue. GM stopped building this car after 2005 because it was too good (again my opinion). Current Buicks are mere toy cars. Around town in traffic, figure 17-8 mpg, suburban figure 22-24 mpg. I've owned a 1991 Park Avenue (made 197K miles), 1995 LeSabre Limited, 1998 LeSabre Limited, 2001 Park Avenue and now the end of the line, 2005 Park Avenue. Suprised at the vinyl roof, seldom seen on a Park Avenue. Where are you? What State? A 2001 with 43K was in the paper this week for $5995 and did not sell.l A 2001 with 74K miles was in the same paper for $3995 and did sell. That's here in Sebring, FL. I continue to wonder what in the world I will buy when I wear out this last Park Avenue. There is not any car built I would want, none, zilch.

Keep the buick the kia is crap. Regardless of issues, the car is paid for, and in good condition and has probably another 200k miles left in it, and you know where it came from. I can tell you from personal experience, these cars are amazing. Though, I do not own the era you have, I owned a 1989 2 door limited, and it saved my life in an accident as I was hit at 50 mph from the side, it was an amazing car and I gave it to a friend who repaired the damage and is still driving it today. I now have a 1991 Lesabre Limited and drive 300 miles a week, I have 125k and it runs like new, I bought it from the estate of an older lady. The other day I drove mine in head winds and up hills, and got about 27 mpg and that is in the 1991 model! Keep it!

Guest bkazmer

one word of caution - this engine has a coolant-heated polyamide (Nylon) intake manifold. The part does not have inserts around the passage ways (accountants should not design cars) and there was an incompatibility between antifreeze additives and the seals. I would do the retrofit before it pukes coolant into the cylinders.

I'm not trying to break up the 3.8 Buick fan club, but this is a significant yet fixable design flaw. It's not a guarantee of a problem but it is not imaginary.

My experience with these cars hasn't been all that good. My '93 Lesabre Ltd. with 89k mi has had some "moments". It is a fully loaded car, including the "Grant Touring Package", (translation; it rides like a rock). It has had a number of electrical problems, including one that caused the ac high blower speed to not stop.... even after shutting off the ignition and walking away. The culprit was an expensive small module buried deeply in the heater plenium. In the final outcome, I beat Government Motors on this one. Instead of laying out $160+ for the part at Buick, I bought 2 at a junkyard for $6 ea. Figured it would be good to have a spare. Door locks giving trouble too. And, in addition to the spinach green paint coming off in chunks, despite the car being mainly garaged, the most disturbing fault became apparent when I arrived at a destination and realized all coolant had gone bye bye and the engine was very hot.. what caused it was a bypass hose plastic connector fitting to the intake manifold, completely hidden from view under the alternator, which snapped without warning. I saw no steam, nor was there any odor while driving, and it didn't show on the temp gage. If you have one of these cars it would wise to consider replacing the plastic connector with a $5 steel one. I was lucky, my trip was only 6 miles and it didn't fry anything. My Buick may have been a "Monday morning car". I also had a tought time getting the trunk lid to not leak. There had been no seal or sealant under a tinsel strip. All in all, it is not one I will ever be sentimental over.

Well, my era has always been good to me, it is superior to any Kia, and as for some of the 'bad' experiences, that era of lesabre is almost 20 years old, there are few cars out there still driving as good as a buick. My era of lesabre is over 20 years old, and it runs like brand new, just keep it maintained...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Randy U.

Thank everyone for your replies. I apologize in that I was just joking about the Kia Rio. :)

We're just now getting the title changed and I'm going to give my wife 2 weeks to change her mind. If she doesn't I'll take pictures and send them to anyone interested. It really is great having all that interior room.

BTW I lost the chrome wheel center with the 3 crests if anyone has one.

Guest Randy U.
Randy U., will you drop me an e-mail with photos and location of the car? I might be interested.

brianL@americanconstco.com

Thanks Brian. I'm giving my wife 2 weeks to change her mind and then I'll let it loose. I'll take a bunch of pictures and send to you at that time. Are you in a hurry?

Reading thru this Thread is like sitting with family around the dining room table

Lots of good advice, information given you never knew you needed

Anytime you get a well cared for vehicle from a relative for free,

it is a rare gift worth appreciating & keeping ;)

Jim