DA From Italy upgrade !!

BEST59

Hallo to all my DB,DA friend,

99% of restore is done.

only side windows needed for ultimate the restore.

I have tryed the car on the road the last week... fantastic.

I have one curiosity: i don't know the max rev at max powerhorse. this data is necessary for obtaining the documents for new number plate.

I'm sorry for the purist, for a monotone colour and nickeled front windshield frame and pillars...

any coments are welcomed

cheers everybody

Stefano,

Ferrara, Italy

post-58984-143138486748_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486753_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486757_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486762_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486767_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486771_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486775_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486779_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486783_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138486787_thumb.jpg

Beutifull car, nothing wrong with windshield frame, is that original floormat? Can I get better pictures? I dont understand what you are looking for so cant help without clarification

, is that original floormat? Can I get better pictures?

No, but i have found some bits before restoring .

I have a rubber carpet on the floor until pedal, and a protective jacket from pedal to top bulkhead.

if you want i can post some detailed pic's

I see : N.A.C.C Horsepower rating - 27.34 ??? what does it mean?

I did a quick Google search on the subject and found this:

N.A.C.C. Horsepower. This formula was used by several manufacturers and license offices in many cities. It represents a comparitive horsepower rating for vehicles. Originally adopted by the A.L.A.M. (Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers) which later became the N.A.C.C. (National Automobile Chamber of Commerce). It is not an engineering formula and does not accurately represent the power of an engine. For instance, the stroke of an engine is not included in the formula.

Here's another I found that might give more specific clues:

From a text book. "Taxable HP of an engine can be computed from a formula developed by the N.A.A.C..

Taxable Horsepower = D2N/2.5. D = cylinder diameter. N= number of cylinders."

Example: 3" bore times 2, times 8 cylinders, divided by 2.5. = 19.2

There are other links, so you might want to do a search, too.

Thanks I do have samples of the original mat and in your pictures it looks the same, great job again, I hope Phils post helped, I got about halfway and my brain started smoking so I cant be of any more help here

Great "Phil"

Also in Italy we have "fiscal power" in italian language "Cavalli fiscali".

I don't know the formula, but it was, for several years, the parameter for calculating the car tax.

This system run until some years ago, now for our tax we are using KW (KiloWatt)

= Horsepower x 0,746

Now remain the question about Rpm !!

Maybe you can find this data on the car brochure or on old magazine from the period

Stefano- Bravo!! Well done my friend. And you got this project done so quickly, too! I see you are running the Australian Carbie from Glen- looks great. I am sure a new carb makes a lot of difference, especially with the adjustable main jet.

What is that you are using for your top bow rests?

As far as the info you seek, here it is attached. 63hp @ 3000 rpm

It's great to see another Phaeton back on the road.

Joe

post-54582-143138491327_thumb.jpg

Joes post helped to jog my memory on what you were looking for, although I am sure the figures he gave are sufficient here is a slightly different more complete version that might help someone else if the question should arrise again

Also the large block lettering at the header of that document that Joe presented reminds me that it is a later version, maybe from the 40s or 50s so I would ask Joe what publication that is from and if I can get a scan of complete version so that I may put it in my files, that is all great usefull information and once its dated more closely it might help even greater.

Again it is defanitely something we do not use here or consider often on these types of cars so that is why we all ( except Joe ) had a hard time figuring out what you meant, if you dont mind explaining in detail what you need the info for, why necessary for obtaining the documents for new number plate than it might help me to understand better. Thanks

By the way on a sidenote here is just one of many documents or literature I have collected that show a Kingston tank as being the only original tank offered at the time.

Get the Kinstons while you can and get rid of those Stewerts !

post-48869-143138491478_thumb.jpg

Hey Stefano- couple more questions for you. What is the number stamped into the center of your firewall just behind the engine cylinder head (it starts with a Q followed by three numbers-see photo for example). Also could you post some close-up photos of the front and back sides of the plugs you removed at the rear corner of the body (see photo)? If you have any pics of the detail behind the rear seat where your side curtains are stored, that would be amazing! Thanks, Joe

post-54582-14313849274_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138492744_thumb.jpg

You do not state what kind of car. If it is a 1930 Dodge, Horsepower and RPM are as follows:

DA - 63HP @ 3000 RPM

DB - 78HP @ 3000 RPM

DD - 64HP @ 3400 RPM

DC - 75HP @ 3400 RPM

These are developed horsepower, or brake horsepower, not taxable horsepower.

Taxable horsepower is calculated not measured and can be calculated in different ways.

For Joe:

enclose you find the photos of rear support. The support come from vintageandclassicreproductions, the arm is self made. It's look like original, but other seen are only in one piece, not 2 (arm and support).

For the number, ...sorry i have forgot it, maybe in the afternoon I come back from mechanic.

for Rusty_OT, thanks, the car is 1929

post-58984-143138499504_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138499508_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138499513_thumb.jpg

post-58984-143138499517_thumb.jpg

Nice work Stefano! Yes, they are a bit different than one piece version, but I think yours are a bit more elegant. How did you make the arms? Lost-wax investment casting or?? They look like they are polished Stainless Steel. They really came out nice. Your hired!

And Stefano, what about pictures of the plugs that go in the holes where the top bow rests go. I saw you had them when you first got your car. Sorry for all the requests, but as rare as these cars are, I get so excited solving one more piece of the puzzle!

If anyone is interested I can also post a picture of the one-piece version of the Phaeton top bow rest. I know of only one Phaeton that has the originals and one more that made a set based on the pictures of the originals. (Now if I could talk one of them into borrowing their set for a week....!!) I am currently using a modified casting from a 1927 tourer a chap from New Zealand was reproducing.

How did you make the arms? Lost-wax investment casting or??

And Stefano, what about pictures of the plugs that go in the holes where the top bow rests go. I saw you had them when you first got your car.

Joe, thanks for your compliments.

Arms: iron curved and then nichel covered.

for your question underlined.. please specify !!! your english is to much difficoult for me.

For the numbers on the bulkhead, they are 0I66I, i don't know if the vertical bar are numbers (one) or simply a divisory.

I'm quite certain my Italian is worse:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJA7%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bel lavoro Stefano! Sì, sono un po 'diversa di una versione pezzo, ma credo che le tue sono un po ' più elegante. Come hai fatto a fare le braccia? Microfusione a cera persa o? Sembrano sono acciaio inossidabile lucidato. Sono veramente uscito bello. Il tuo assunto!

E Stefano, che cosa le immagini su dei tappi che vanno nei fori dove la prua in alto poggia andare. Ho visto che li aveva prima volta che avete avuto la vostra auto. Ci scusiamo per tutte le richieste, ma così raro come queste auto sono, ho così eccitato risolvere un altro pezzo del puzzle!

Se qualcuno è interessato posso anche postare una foto della versione di un pezzo della parte superiore dell'arco resto Phaeton. Io conosco solo un Phaeton che ha gli originali e un altro che ha fatto una set basata sulle immagini degli originali. (Ora, se io potessi parlare uno di loro in prestito il loro set per una settimana ....!!) Attualmente sto usando un getto di modifica da una tourer 1927 un tizio dalla Nuova Zelanda è stata la riproduzione.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJA7%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.hps {mso-style-name:hps;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Puoi postare una foto del numero sulla paratia? Si inizierà con la lettera "q" con tre numeri dopo. Grazie

<o></o> Stefano-Ricordati di voto per il 1930 nel 2016

post-54582-143138500248_thumb.jpg

Thanks for campaigning for me Joe, its nice to know who is on my side ( you certaintely are ) and who has nothing better to do but make sarcastic remarks about other people simply because they have nothing better to do with their time and also because they dont have the knads to write and express to people what might be bothering them and work things out or better yet be a man and pick up the phone.

I try my best to spend some little time here and help others out ( including yourself on many occasions if I remember correctly when you were restoring your car ) because I can and because I really enjoy the cars and its my hobby and its so nice to see you on my side instead of going along with maybe a few others, your thinking for yourself and gathering information so you can make an informed decision about an issue that you apparently care about ( since once again you are helping me out ) instead of behaving as if you are in second grade and sending private messages e-mails ect among an elite group of people in hopes that maybe one day you might gaduate to the pivot man says alot about your character.

I admire these qualities and I guess it is this responsable intelligent behavior that has helped you to go as far as you have and can claim the title of Dr. Joe. It was an honor getting to know you, talking with you on the phone and enjoying those conversations those few times and once again I appreciate your support or at the very least I appreciate your gathering enough knowledge about my own personality and my motives that you feel so strongly to support me.

Lastly I appreciate the car that you restored, Oh sure I could make some negative comments about certain things that I may have done differently, I could be a real jerk and point out some things that maybe could have or should have ( solely in my opinion ) been done differently but I didnt and I wont becauase you did a great job nonetheless. Its not exactely suited to my taste but its not my car. You must appreciate all of these things in me as well since you are going out of your way to support me instead of attempting to belittle me. Thanks again Joe, I am glad that I was able to help you in some small way. ;) GO DODGE BROTHERS

I think that a forum should be used only to share the same passion and be of help to those who, like me, does not have enough specific knowledge.

It may happen that there are different opinions and different ways of interpreting things.

All these things I think is right managed privately.

I live at the other side of the world, and I fields concerned what happens to you, but I care about how you can help me to complete my car.

Then on the level of restoration, each has their own preferences, perhaps we Italians have the ability to restore the car with the greatest respect for the originality in the world.

(it starts with a Q followed by three numbers-see photo for example).

Effectively, the first letter is a Q and not a O.

I confirm that the following number are I66I.

What they means?

and, i don't remember, the other numbers stamped on little label starting with 222- 1591, and fixed on firewall, have a particular meaning?

Archived