Can you ID jack from under my house?

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

The oher day I was crawling under my house, when I come accross this jack. It has "The Deff Mfg. Co. Pittsburg Pa." on it. I am assuming that this is an early auto jack, but I have never seen one like this before. My house is a little over 100 years old, but this could be from any time period from then.

Can you ID this jack, and tell what car this was for? Also, approx. what year(s) was this made.

Thank you for any info you can shed on this, and thank you very much!

post-66697-143138486287_thumb.jpg

post-66697-14313848629_thumb.jpg

post-66697-143138486292_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby
It could be a wagon jack.

That thought never occured to me.

Upon further inspection, it is marked by the "ton" weight that it will lift. I can't read the number, but it looks like 8 ton. Really, it looks like a 0, so I would say it is an 8. An 8 ton jack for a car? That doesn't make sense. Also, that would far exceed any wagon weight limit. Could this be a jack that was being used when my house was built? If so, 8 tons wouldn't make sense either. Its a large 2-story house that would probably require a heavier jack than this. Of course, it could be a 3 ton, which would resemble an 8 or a 0. That would be in line more with either a car or a large truck.

Any other opinions on this?

We had a real heavy old jack on the farm years back that was from the Rail Road and used for jacking box cars and such. I think it had a 20 + ton rating if I remember right. It may still be in my shed. One old wagon jack that he had was made wood and some small pieces of steel. It had steps on it and the handle would lock over center and hold the load up. If you wanted to go higher you would have to block the load and go to the next step. There were jacks years before there were cars and trucks. Dandy Dave!

Here's something similar. http://www.americancenturies.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=11664

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)