401 Bellhousing / Flywheel

pyntre

I am looking for a Bellhousing and Flywheel for a 401 so that I can get my new motor on the dyno . Looking for someone in the Minneapolis / St Paul area that might be willing to rent- loan me the two pieces for a few days . I would buy the two pieces if the price was reasonable as they will be wall hangers after I get this motor done . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance !!:)

I am looking for a Bellhousing and Flywheel for a 401 so that I can get my new motor on the dyno . Looking for someone in the Minneapolis / St Paul area that might be willing to rent- loan me the two pieces for a few days . I would buy the two pieces if the price was reasonable as they will be wall hangers after I get this motor done . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance !!:)

I gave AM&P a flywheel and headers so they are set up to do Nailheads in Philpot KY. You might ask Jim @ Trishield performance (Anoka) about the dyno shop he uses as they have done a few nailheads too. They may already have the flywheel. I can send you a bellhousing, an EELCO.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...
:) Well my quest for the bellhousing and flywheel ended at Speed Gems - Bendtsens in Ham Lake Mn. I went over there to Buy the stuff because I was behind the 8 ball on getting my motor dynoed and the folks over at Speed Gems said they rent this stuff all the time....RENT ,Yes RENT ....How cool is that!!!!! So needless to say I am pretty happy with that !!! They say they have all kinds of odd /rare / old bells and adapters they rent out all the time . So I have a my fresh 401 nailhead all broken in and tuned 280 horse 430 ft lb tourqe and idles great ; going into the frame this weekend .

Congrats,Im envious. Did you rebuild your 401 or have it rebuilt? If you had it done can I ask what the cost was in your part of the country? Im doing a little research as a rebuild may be in my future.

Mark

The motor was rebuilt in 1999 by the previous owner and never fired , the car sat 10 years in his garage until I bought it. I knew there was no way I was going to start a motor that sat in one position for so long ,wiped out valve springs , rings and assembly lube that had turned into silly putty , so I had it gone through and freshened up ,new rings , valve springs ,lifters , bearings, gaskets, etc. No machine work was needed although I did have them do a valve job and install new valves....no hardened seats;). I didnt do anything performance oriented just a nice factory spec motor . I had the 4 jet carb rebuilt by The Carb Shop in Maplewood Mn , and I updated the ignition to an MSD ready to run distributor . Iam happy with the way it ran and it sounded strong at 4800 rpm , but thats about all it had in it ! Its going in my 65 Riv ....Low and slow, so I dont think it will see 4800 rpm too often. As far as cost , well parts are quite a bit more than your average small block chevy , bearings were the worst parts , and the aftermarket for the nailhead is pretty small although you can find parts if you look around long enough and read these forums enough !!

Great,thanks for sharing.I applaud your patience and common sense.I know a lot of guys that would have tried to fire that baby up!