Tonneau terms

Guest Steve Hughes

Guest Steve Hughes

I have never seen anywhere a description of what is meant by the various terms used for tonneau. I think that I have figured out that tonneau refers to the rear part of an early open car. If I have that wrong please correct me. But what are the other various terms? i.e. toy tonneau, demi tonneau, etc. Any explanations would be appreciated so that I can be better informed.

Thanks,

Steve Hughes

Guest Steve Hughes

No real responses? I would think someone out there could explain to me the terms used for the Horseless Carriage tonneau.

Steve,

The very early autos that had a rear open touring body were referred to as a tonneau styled body. Typically they had a rear entrance or open side entrance (no side doors). Some of these early autos had a single seat (called a mother-in-law seat), some had side by side two seat, and some had a four seat arrangement. My '04 Cadillac is considered a 4-seat rear entrance tonneau. Baby and toy designations refer to the auto size and rear seating capacity I believe. Modern tonneau covers refer to open areas with various types of covers. Race cars, sports cars, truch beds, there are many uses today. Can anyone else comment on this? Good luck!

Skip

Steve,

I forgot to mention that a "Demi Tonneau" was a body style that could convert a light touring to a runabout style body by removing the rear section. i know that some Cadillacs had this feature, and there must have been many other makes also.

Guest Steve Hughes

Skip,

Thanks for the help in clearing this up for me. I now know to call my 1911 Oakland Model 33 a demi tonneau as the rear seat section does remove. I appreciate your comments.

Steve