29 Standard 8 Cooling Question

BobRobb

Been having a problem with heating up at speed. The coolant wants to foam to the consistency of whipped cream at higher rpms lowering the cooling efficiency. I had the head planed the last time it was off and installed a new head gasket. Haven't had the block magnafluxed since installing new pistons and rings way back in the 1970s or 1980s. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hardly needs saying, but if you coolant looks like that it's obviously contaminated with something. I'd suggest taking a compression test and a cooling system pressure test. Those vintage Packards had very competent cooling systems and if cared for properly and not neglected, rarely have problems with overheating. That said, they do tend to run warmer at higher road speeds than at lower speeds. Using my 34 Eight as an example, it has a 160 degree winterfront thermostat and around town and at steady speeds up into the 40 mph range, even in the hot summer, it won't go above 160, even crawling along on a hot July 4th parade in blistering heat. But push it up to 55 mph or so (about as fast as I go) it will climb to 175 or so in the summer.

Yes, I agree with contamination.. Sounds like there are more than one type of "coolants" in the system. You will need to flush it all out BERY well, then run with clean clear water and watch to see if it STAYS clear, then drain and refill with whatever you will use permanently.