Horn Replacement on a 1993

Jim65Riv

Has anyone replaced the horns on this generation? Of course the shop manual tells you what to do when they are out of the car, but doesn't say how to get at them. Is access through the top or the bottom, and did you learn any tricks? Thanks in advance.

Guest wildcat465

Bring it over Jim.

Between my 4 foot pry bar, 3 pound dead blow hammer, and maybe a 6 pack, I'll get it out for ya'!

Probably pretty quick too.

Just remember, if I break anything, you could grab some stuff off of Kris' car in the back.

There are two torx screws going thru the back of the wheel into the pad. Once you remove them the pad comes out into your hand. The horn buttons are also held in place by two torx screws each. If you get the replacement horn buttons ahead of time, you don't even have to disconnect the air bag.

Jim,

I've seen Paul work and I can say with absolute certainty that he WILL get the horns out for you! Whether the car will be driveable when he is done is another matter! All kidding aside, I think the horns are down low in front of the front tires but behind the bumpers cover. There is usually a plastic cover that is held in place by some 10 MM head bolts. GM horn wires are usually green, so you might be able to trace the wires down to the horns.

Tim

Dave - it's the horns themselves I want to replace, not the steering wheel pads.

Tim - The "F" note (left) sounds like a sick sheep. The "A" note (right) deosn't sound at all. I can see the left one from above, but reaching it will be difficult. The right side one has the battery in the way and it looks like reaching it from the top would be impossible.

Guest wildcat465

Kidding aside, have you tried to loosen the inner fenderwells for access?

I would only need the 3 foot prybar on those! (oops the kidding is back)

Jim,

I do remember on the Cadillacs of that vintage getting them out from underneath or the inner fender area like Paul said. It's not all that bad from underneath, but sometimes getting the bolts holding the lower panel or inner fender liner can be rusted and not very cooperative. If I were you I'd run it over to Paul's place and let that young whipper snapper crawl under your Riv to replace the horns, just pull up to the shop and beep the horn to let him know you are there . . .:D

Tim

Guest wildcat465

Not likely yet, still got 4 feet of snow in front of the access door of the pole barn as of Sunday morning. Driveway still only has 3-4 icebergs left so far, finally more gravel than ice. Maybe in two weeks or so. Probably could get on the lift in a month, maybe.

I was just back in the fun garage. Cleared some ice from in front of one of the doors, everything else survived. Moved the cars around so that I can work on the 1922 tomorrow. The 65 started right up, moved when I put it in gear, and stopped when I stepped on the brake. What more could you ask for.

Guest wildcat465
The 65 started right up, moved when I put it in gear, and stopped when I stepped on the brake. What more could you ask for.

Kevin thinks 32 MPG.

I am going with a stool and a frosty barley pop, setting there admiring the view. Like I said before, I hope I can get in there in two weeks or so.

Paul,

Sounds like a plan! Weather is looking cold again for later in the week, you may get into your garage by Easter!

Jim,

You're way ahead of me, the 63's are both still in storage and won't be out until at least the first weekend in April. I am sooooo garage challenged! I should really sell that '41 Chevy pick up project and move it on and free up some space!

Kevin,

32 mpg is possible with a 65 Riviera as long as the tow vehicle is capapble of that figure! My son Kevin has a 2007 Impala SS that gets 29 mpg on the highway and that has to use active fuel management to get that number!

Take Care,

Tim

Guest wildcat465
Paul, Do you have a good source for studded snow tires for a 1965 Riviera so that I can make it to the car show on May 1st:confused:

Nope, drive the 22, the skinny tires work great in this crap. :eek:

Guest wildcat465
Paul,

Maybe in time for the spring show?:confused: With overnight lows in the teens for the next week or so, that snow pile isn't going any where soon. Luckily, we only got about 6 inches of "global warming" down here in Maplewood!

Tim

Yeah, you city folk always get the "better deal". :rolleyes:

Guest wildcat465
Maybe I'll ask you to drive it over to the new place sooner instead of later.

You get the Bobcat back there and dig it out, I take care of the driving to your place!