Pate Swap Meet April 29th -May 2nd

Guest Ctskip

Guest Ctskip

I'm restoring a four door 1940 Lincoln Zephyr (thanks notnow)

It's been awhile and it seems as if time is flying by. My FIL had hip replacement surgery, so the air in the sails has been released. Now he's back, not quite a 100% but he's back. I still must figure out how to cut the old rotted floor out as I have three out of four replacement panels at the ready. One of those cheap air cutters from Harbor Freight seems to be the tool for it. This will be new to me, but I'm willing and somewhat inventive. Any tips on floor removal? Unibody is a strange way of doing things. New for me anyways.

I have most everything off the vehicle , all except the doors which I won't remove till the new floors are welded in place.

I am having a hard time with the stainless around the edge of where the windshield goes. I don't want to damage it, along with the wiper towers which seem to be most daunting. Upside down is not where I do my best work. I spent two hours on the towers and got nowhere, just two hours older.

The steering column was a treat. It's all apart. I finally got the ignition key cylinder out of the casting on the column. Anybody out there have one? I've been collecting plastic food containers and put parts in them and mark each container. In case I die before I get to reassemble, somebody will be able to figure it out.

Although I keep asking myself why am I putting all this money into a vehicle when it's all together, won't give me half my money back. For the fun factor I guess.

What I'm looking for

1) Drivers door window trim and the wing (vent) window set up

2) aluminum sill plates, all four doors need them.

3) key and brass cylinder for steering column and the switch assembly that bolts on the rear of it

4) Radio

5) wiring harness

6) all the flat glass

7) motor mounts

8) fuel tank

Any help would be appreciated. I've a long way to go and time is not essential. So I have plenty of time. I do know that Pate Swap meet is coming to Texas pril 29th to May 2nd, so I'll keep an eye out for "stuff" there. Thanks all.

Skip

Edited by Ctskip
clarification and credit (see edit history)

Hi Skip,

If you go to my profile, click on the album 41 Lincoln Restoration. There are a couple of photos there of how I replaced the rotted sections of my floor.

The basic process I used was to outline the rotted out area with masking tape, then cut along the inside edge of the tape with a 4 inch angle grinder and a cut off wheel.

Using file folder stock, I then taped those together to just fit inside of the hole where the rusted out section was.

Lay this pattern over the replacement panel, mark the lines with a sharpie magic marker, then cut along the lines. Drop the panel in the hole and tack it in place, then start welding it in a little at a time to avoid warpage.

Tom

Guest Ctskip

Thanks Tom.

Great pictures.

Looking at your seat makes mine look pretty good. I was wondering about that also. Just the floor is dominate at this point.

My FIL is still working on the rotisserie

Did you cut out the old floor while it was sitting on it's tires from the topside? Doors on or off? Did you cut out the floor from the bottom side or top side or both?

Thanks for the pictures, Thats exactly what we are planning to do to ours. What did you fill the "spots" in with and what did you coat the bottom with? Spots? What spots?

I must apologize for all the questions but so far you have done exactly what I am planning to do to ours. I lucked out there. With pictures to boot!!!!

Thanks again and, if you don't mind, I'll be asking you about a hundred more questions along the way. Give or take a few.

Thanks, Skip

Hi Skip,

The floors were cut out while sitting on the tires, from the top, and it can be done with the doors on or off, not much difference there.

I am not sure what "spots" your are talking about. If it is the hole, that was filled with sheet metal cut to size and the ribs rolled in. If you are talking about the welded areas, that was simply welded, then the weld beads were ground down level, then painted top and bottom with a product called "Chassis Saver." It is similar to a POR 15 product, but I like it better.

You can actually just prime the bottom metal with some primer after you wipe it down with a wax/grease cleaner, then paint it black. Once dry, you can either undercoat it or buy a can of bed liner spray at the local auto parts store and spray that on for protection.

Tom

Guest zazothex

Love the pics Tom. I'm just about to start something similar on my '48. If you have any more, I'd love if you could Email them to me. I'm thinking about tackling my engine bay right now, so any closeups of the firewall would help a lot.