1983 Riv. Convertible Weatherstripping

Jolly_John

I'm posting this for a Buick friend of mine who doesn't have a computer. He has an '83 Riviera convert.

What are the current sources for the door perimeter weatherstripping for the convertible? By chance, is it the same weatherstipping as on the Riv. coupe?

Also, is anyone reproducing the side roof rail weatherstipping for the convertible? Thanks in advance for any help. John

I don't think that any convertible-specific weatherstripping is available for the '82-'85 Rivieras. I really could use some!

My car leaks so much that I don't have carpets in it, just mats. (I had to replace the rusted-out floorpans last year, and don't want to have to do that again).

You need to remember that every convertible started its life as a coupe before being shipped to ASC. I installed door seals for a coupe on my convertible. I didn't need the upper roof seals, but it looked as if I could have made some well placed cuts in the roof seals and they would have worked. The seal over the windshield is something else.

At one time, Bobby Ward, North Yale Auto Parts north of Tulsa, was going to see about reproducing the top to windshield seals. I haven't heard anything about that project for some time. You can find his contact information on the ROA's website.

I do know that the convertible hold down clamps are the same ones that Pontiac used on one of their convertibles. I got this info from Bobby.

Ed

RivNut,

Good point about the doors being the same. My biggest challenge is the rear quarter windows, especially the part on the body pillar.

Well, maybe I just need to start being creative and see what I can adapt to seal that area.

Archived