CT YOM commercial plate

Guest Mooe

Hi everyone, I have a kinda bizarre question I was hoping someone would know the answer to. I finally have my '53 chevy 3600 on the road and want to run YOM plates on it. I tried to find someone at the DMV that knew what YOM was, but apparently know body in New Britain knows. I want to put '53 commercial plates on the truck, anyone know if the DMV will let me use them? I would really hate to spend a day at the DMV to find out :mad:.

Thanks!

Guest 4 bufords

i have a set of yom plates on my 62 buick,had to go to dmv and show them the yom plates and get the paperwork squared away have to keep the early american in the trunk.no charge to do this but takes about an hour.go early in the am to avoid long lines 4 bufords from ct

i have a set of yom plates on my 62 buick,had to go to dmv and show them the yom plates and get the paperwork squared away have to keep the early american in the trunk.no charge to do this but takes about an hour.go early in the am to avoid long lines 4 bufords from ct

I agree--seems a lot of DMV clerks are unfamiliar with the law (which is probably still less then 10 years old at this point)--I have had similar "extended stays" at DMV when attempting to get paperwork processed to be able to display my YOMs on my old car.

If you follow the requirements on the link Ted posted you should be golden. Big key - you must go to a full service DMV like Wethersfield, for example, and not one of the small branch offices. My guess is they not only won't know what to do, but won't be authorized. Form is very simple, and the actual time at the DMV is mostly waiting, time with clerk should be around 10 minutes. Bring the plates, you need two and they cannot be altered or restored.

Then, be sure to mark June 12 off on your calendar and bring your Chevy to our CCR AACA Glastonbury car show! :)

I would be tempted to not even mention that your YOM are commercial. If I am correct, there is no distinction between trucks and cars for CT Early American. Others may know for sure.

Once you get the Early American (assuming the truck is not now registered and on the road). which you must keep in vehicle as noted above, then tell them you have these two YOM plates you want to use. As you present them they will note they are Commercial. I am afraid if you mention commercial before you start it will just cause DMV to look up rules to try and find the answer and delay the process.

I imagine that the two commercial plates for 1953 were not easy to find. I guess I never realized before that the plates cannot be restored.

John

Edited by jscheib
spelling (see edit history)

i have a set of yom plates on my 62 buick...

I wonder if 4 bufords has experienced the "excitement" of having their '62 Buick--with the post-'56 "standard size" blue-with-white-numerals CT passenger YOM plate displayed--pulled over by a law enforcement officer who has assumed that they are just driving around with illegal obsolete plates?

It appears, from my small sample size, anyway (myself and a couple of friends who happen to have post-'56 YOM "blue plates" on our cars) that you're a lot more likely to get stopped with those plates, than with the "distinctly old-looking" '56 & earlier YOMs...

Guest 4 bufords

steve,i haven't got to drive the 62 with the yom plates yet,but will i a few weeks.does look cool with the blue plates with white numbers and tag on the corner saying 62.i used the enfield dmv for the transaction,one lady had no clue what was going on but the guy had no problem. 4 bufords from ct

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone. I went to the New Britain DMV last Friday and gave it a shot. And they allowed it! :) The clerk originally said "those are too big" when I showed her the plates but after talking with someone else she said they were just going to run them through.

I had the law printed out in case they said they complained about them being commercial but I didn't need it.

So 30 minutes spent waiting and less than 10 minutes at the counter. Not bad for the DMV.

Thanks for the help everyone. I went to the New Britain DMV last Friday and gave it a shot. And they allowed it! :) The clerk originally said "those are too big" when I showed her the plates but after talking with someone else she said they were just going to run them through.

I had the law printed out in case they said they complained about them being commercial but I didn't need it.

So 30 minutes spent waiting and less than 10 minutes at the counter. Not bad for the DMV.

Yay! Glad to hear it, Mooe! I wish you many happy miles in your '53 Chevy--and 4 bufords too, with their '62 Buick!

"Those are too big" forget that they are YOM, correct, CT plates in a pair, I am sure. Forget the law and that fact these must come through a full service branch frequently. Priceless.

My two rules of thumb at DMV, always be polite and be prepared to escalate to a supervisor, and you should be ok.

Anyway, +1 to the "Yay" Mooe. Glad it worked out for you.

...My two rules of thumb at DMV, always be polite and be prepared to escalate to a supervisor, and you should be ok...

I would add one more rule of thumb from my own experience, to always be prepared for a LONG wait, and then, if you can get out there in a reasonable time, you have reason to be happy! I think most, if not all of the workers, genuinely want to make customers happy--it's just that the DMV system in general seems to be cumbersome, and there are also probably many hurdles intetionally set in place to try & weed out the scammers, that also add to the burden.

If I can possibly manage to take time off from work, to be able to get to DMV at a time when lots of other people may not be able to do so (avoiding things like lunch hours, Saturdays, etc.), I also try to do so. The lessening of the anxiety & aggravation levels is worth it in my book.

Through the car clubs I have belonged to for many years I learned of the New York state YOM registration. And I lobbyed the legislators for passage. I was one of the first in the area to display my plates on my '61 Sunliner. About a month later the county sheriff (whom was a personal friend) pulled in the driveway behind me. He told me that he had 3 complaints about me driving with illegal plates. I told him I was surprised I only had 3 enemies, but after my explanation he was satisfied and we joked about it many times since. Even the law enforcer doesn't/can't keep up with paper coming thru the office.---Bob

Guest bofusmosby

I did some quick research about the YOM florida plates. They are allowed, and they will now accept "restored" plates, as long as they are done nice, and they are of the correct color for that year.

Anyone have a 1937 Florida tag for sale?:D