Number on firewall

Guest MidTNDawg

Like this? ;)

I am not fully versed on the correct application of this particular tag. I am about 80% sure this is right for my '36. I have seen at least one other version of this tag. I seem to remember it had something to do with either export vehicles or different vehicle years or such. I have no further info on that one. Just a vague memory.

I purchased this tag over 20 years ago. I have no records from where. I think it was a swap meet vendor.

The lower one is a "BODY NUMBER" tag. I am pretty sure the printing is the same as your rectangle one but has the rounded corners and is also in red.

post-67404-14313887297_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
added info (see edit history)

I was just recently reading something about the colors of the tags and when the changes took place, I will see if I can find it again if someone does not beat me to it

6 days ago I made that post, forgot even making it, will try and find that this weekend. Send me a P.M if you dont see it this weekend at some point if you would like

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
The bogus luggage rack, bogus sidemounts and 1950's paint job with no pin striping belie the assertion that this is an original car.

Does a knowledgeable person know if all 1933 Dodges used the side mount spare hardware pictured at this link?

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f119/44952d1262583686-1933-dodge-coupe-nice-coupe-4th-small.jpg

or, did the early cars use a pickup truck style mounting bracket?

Yes, 33 Dodge car used this fender, spare tire set up as pictured. We have a 2nd owner car bought from the original in 1963 that we have bought. It's a 1933 DP duel spare with luggage rack.

Budd is still around.

Budd is now known as ThyssenKrupp Budd Co. in the U.S., with its operations based in Troy, Michigan.

Budd sold off its rail car operations to Bombardier in 1987 and their body building and chassis business to Martinrea International in 2006. Today the firm is a metal fabricator and supplier of body components (doors, hoods, etc.).

Bill

Toronto, ON

I don't remember who first came up with 'Line Registration' for the 'LR' before the body number on the small aluminum tag on Commercial Cars and trucks. I have body plate numbers from several vehicles,all commercial,starting in 1934 and going on to 1939 that people have sent me and all have that same letter/number sequence- 'M-2-1 LR 94356' for instance. Who ever put the plate on the firewall,whether body maker or Dodge, used the same code for many years with no deviation.

I have deciphered the code this way: 1st letter (B,K,M etc.) denotes the year. Strangely Dodge reused the letter K ,from 1934 and '35 year models, some years later on the body plates. Must of made for interesting parts ordering.

The two numbers separated by dashes denote the body style, -1-0 for instance is a plain jane flat faced cowl and chassis. 'B' can be either a '34 or '35, M I believe was 1939 ( don't have my notes in front of me). These letters on the body plate have no connection with the Dodge model letter for that year. At least none that I can find yet. How did they arrive at the letters over they years? Did Dodge tell the body builder what letters to use or vice versa. Who put the plate on? The larger black and silver truck plant plate would have been put on by Dodge Main as only they would have known whether the cowl body went on a KC or an extended chassis KCL for instance. The KCL was hand stamped by whomever had the job of installing the plates. The LR denotes body line registration number on, I think, the body builders line. And the numbers following are definitely the sequential body production number.

When I first got my KCL I knew nothing about it and thought the small firewall body tag was the custom builders plate. I never did find a plate from them.

Interesting stuff. I am looking a truck I will not see in person until the weekend. It is a model G44. There is some descrepancy on its year, and I dont have the serial yet. However, the body number is B22LRXXXXX. Based on the model, it should be a 32 or 33. Once I get the serial etc.... I will be able to pinpoint. However, the LR discussion is interesting as I have been diggging though my materials to try to make sense of the B22LR number. And until I found this post I was lost.