Drink holders??????

bb1970

What do you all do for a drink holder in a first gen Riv? I bought a couple of the kind that hang on the door. But I hate them. I thought about a pull out hold like the mid 90's Chevy trucks had mounted on the lower passenger side dash. Give me some ideas.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I have a simple solution (it works for me anyways), no drinks or food in my cars. There is one exception to my rule, a resealable water bottle with water in it. This way, I can set the bottle on the seat and if a little water did leak out, no harm done.

Jim,

The drink holder (in Galen's car if you didn't recognize it) is mounted on the vertical surface. When opened, it appears as the one in the ad. When closed, it's a small square on the vertical surface that sticks out about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Ed

Here's what the ad says.

(holds cups from 2 1/4" to 3 1/4" in diameter). In fact, it's the same cup holder used in several Mercedes models including the 500SL. When closed, measures 4 3/4"l x 4"w x 1 1/2"h. Not some cheesy accessory, but nicely made in Germany.

The size of the cup it will hold is determined more by the taper and diameter of the rim of the cup than the base of it because the holder is usually mounted to a vertical surface that extends upward higher than the cup is tall. If you mount the holder at the upper most part of the console, the rim of a cup would then be in "open air space" and the cup could conceivably be fairly large. I know that the local Quick Trips have very large cups with really small bases just so they'll fit in cup holders.

Guest rayvaflav

I would like one but it's gotta' be large enough to hold a rocks glass for my scotch and soda. That's why I drive with my wife and have her hold it for me. :D

Ray ('64 Riviera)

What about converting the in console bin to a cup holder? It has a removable insert so concievably, you could cast something into a spare insert (or use the stock a negative mold) and put it in there when you wanted it. Think it would be in the way constantly and people would be knocking over the drinks?

Thanks,

Best I have been able to determine, all 100,000+ first generation Rivieras came with power steering and automatic transmission. Which means we can drive these things one handed. Use the other one to hold your coffee (or whatever). Problem solved.

I've thought about making some kind of drop in unit that I could insert after removing the hinge from the diddy box cover.
If you feel up to the engineering you could make a mechanism like the rear "popup" armrest so the mechanism would carry it over the top of the rear lighter and out of the way so you'd not have to worry about having a loose lid somewhere.

On '63s you could put it where the ashtray goes. Use something like a cup holder out of an early 90's Toyota pickup that slides out parrallel to the floor for cups but '63's are the only ones with the ashtray up in the console where the later years have the HVAC units. I'm converting to a '63 console plate so this is option 2 though I'd like to put my extra controls here and the cup holder down in the console.

Here's what I use in my non cupholder-equipped cars. 6 bucks and no marring of the interior. Google Octopus Cupholder.

That's pretty cool. Is it weighted to keep it from tipping over? Where in the car do you put it?

It's not weighted, but it's go a non-slip base that's plenty wide. My Reatta, Allante and '84 Seville Elegante each have flat-topped consoles so it just sits there in front of the armrest. I do put a finger on the cup just in case when pulling any significant G's. I like it 'cause I can just chuck it in a compartment when not in use, been using it for 5 years now without incident.