Lost one 88 Coupe this week

Ames63

My son's 88 reatta was wrecked this week via a 60 year old drunk driver in Winston-Salem, NC. We are going thru the process with the insurance company (Nationwide). I am trying to determine what is a fair price for the car. I looked up it value according to NADA guides.com and it listed:

Low retail $2750

Ave retail $5375

High retail $9350

One thing to note, it does not mention anything about mileage. I'm not sure why that is not a factor?

The vehicle is going to fall somewhere in between low and ave. But in conjunction to determining what is appropiate. I want to factor in some recent repairs. I feel that it is reasonable to do so what do you think given the repairs performed:

Repair

1. Water pump $80.00 (did myself)

2. Tranmission Rebuild $1,853.60

3. Brakes + new rear caliphers $170.00 (did myself)

4. Tires +Alignment $310.00

TOTAL $2413.60

I'm not looking to get the total repair price, but I believe 25% of the total price would be fair. Again what do you think?

BTW I tried attaching a pic of the damage however I get some unknown error

Condition and mileage help establish a fair price. The Insurance company will want to total the car because it is easier and faster for them.

Depending on the damage and if you want to do some of the repair, you could negotiate a price and you keep the car.

Lets say you have a nice looking '88 (good paint and interior, no other damage ) but with 150 K miles, you would probably get between $2500- $4000 if you tried to sell it.

In dealing with the insurance company, get compariables like they do for houses.

Look on the Buick Reatta Buy/sell for cars like your and the asking price. Look at Ebay, Autotrader, Cars.com Print the ones you find and show them to the insurance adjustor.

14 months ago I recieved a $2900.00 check from the other person's insurance company for some front end damage. Then 2 months ago I had my windshield replaced on the same car. The car had over 210,000 miles on it at the time. [Now 216,000 miles on it]

Point I am trying to make is that I believe these cars to be worth $4,000.00 or more in good looking/operating condition.

Stand firm...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Ames, Rules, sorry for your losses. :mad:

Hopefully all the people involved are in good shape.

When similar situation hit me, I didn't have a lot of say in the outcome with State Farm, but the rules are different in FLA.

Bad news was I lost a car I really loved (90 LeSabre), but I did get into my first Reatta as it's replacement. It was all or nothing, either take their offer which was about average retail and turn in the car or nothing.

I got the Reatta while dragging my feet on the decision to take their offer, and it turned out to be prudent since the tranny in the Reatta showed signs of going south, and I had had the one in the LeSabre rebuilt about a year earlier, I did a double swap and then turned in the LeSabre and received enough to about break even.

Repairs will have no affect on their offer. They will probably offer something between the loan value and average retail to you for your area. If your car was worth more, (show quality, low mileage, etc) then you will have to provide them with proof to get more. As it was obviously driven on the road they will just assume that it was in the "average" price range. It is so old they won't bother to split hairs about mileage, body condition, repair history etc.

Best of luck to both of you, and hopefully you will be back in another Reatta soon.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, it is certainly food for thought. I'll proceed to get as much as I can for the Reatta, It was in great condition for a daily driver. I will work on:

1. getting the comparables.

2. talking with Mike at buickreattaparts.com

NCReatta, I had not planned on buying the car back primarily b/c I do not have a place to store the car, my HOA would have a fit if it were there for more that a day. I will however if there is an interest, have the ins. adjuster to contact you or others here if they want parts.

Depending on what you buy the car back for, Randy (if you buy it back that is), I'm certainly a player. I can even probably come pick it up the same day from your place, or you could just have it dropped about 30 mins up I-85 from you at my place.

Guest Richard D

If you do buy it back throw a cover over it and tell the HOA it is a secret prototype and to go mind their own business.