'71 Boattail Vinyl top

Guest MatthewW

Guest MatthewW

Can anyone tell me what material the vinyl top on the '71 Riviera originally came in? Was it either Elk Grain or Levant Grain?

Guest 38cadillacjack

i believe it was levant,i put many tops on.but that was a long time ago for your type.i have some original matchup books and i,ll look later when i go to the shop.if you are going to replace your top,have the glass resealed.they were prone to leak.also insist on premade,prefit.if made inhouse at the shop,the seams are not dielectric welded,will seep water.stay safe

Can anyone tell me what material the vinyl top on the '71 Riviera originally came in? Was it either Elk Grain or Levant Grain?

In 98 when I had a new top put on my 71, the shop that did it called it "Pebble" and it matched the original exactly. Perhaps Pebble was a slang term they used. I don't see that listed on websites that sell top materials such as SMS.

Looking at pictures of samples online, Levant appears to be correct.

Check out this old post which supports Levant.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/replacement-vinyl-top-suppliers-268405.html

Guest dcdpgh

I am the OP in the thread link JZRIV provided above. I followed thru and purchased the presewn vinyl top from SMS for my '68 last fall, and had it professionally installed before storing the car for winter. Levant grain is the correct term for a '68 vinyl, and what they sent me was a dead match for my old tired original top material. The shop I hired for the install was very happy with the top (fit and overlap material they provided). It would not suprise me if Levant is also correct for '71 - but I'm not an expert in the boattail generation. If you contact SMS they will tell what the correct vinyl grain is for your car, and whether or not they have it.