Seat Covers?

Guest bilsh

Guest bilsh

Does anyone know if you can still buy the old fashioned seat covers like we used to see in the 40's and 50's? I think they were woven vinyl and they were made specifically for each model of car. They fit very well. I have several cars that I do not want to reupholster but would be interested in using these seat covers.

They used to turn up at swap meets. In the early fifties seat covers were so popular there were shops that sold nothing else but seat covers and convertible tops. They were a best seller at auto dealerships and parts stores. Then, the new woven nylon, vinyl and other synthetics came in, starting about 1955 and people stopped buying seat covers.

Guys used to find hordes of NOS seat covers in old parts stores and dealerships. Look around at swap meets, some may turn up.

By the way it is not that difficult to make your own seat covers if you have access to a sewing machine.

Guest danceswithpumps

Seems like FINGERHUT was a brand of seat covers of the late 50s to 60s. I know they made clear ones and maybe others too. haven't heard from them for quite awhile.

Rod