Finally failed

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

This morning I noticed that even though the ABS/Brake light goes out within 15 seconds after start when I slow down even for a speed bumb the ABS light comes on for about one-two seconds. I imagine this means it is time for a new accumulator (144,000 miles) Is Amazon still the best and how long would the job take me? Regular tools.:confused:

Thank's

Richard

The accumulator is part of the power assist, not the ABS. I would guess a sensor issue. Like maybe one of the wires is getting intermittent. Any codes? (Note that unlike BCM/ECM/SIR codes, you have to jumper a couple of pins in the ALDL connector, then count blinks to get ABS codes.)

I would replace the accumulator. It only takes a couple of minutes and it fixed mine, that is before I switched to the 91 system...

Interesting. We had a similar problem (false ABS triggering during low speed braking) in our Rendezvous last year. Finally discovered a intermittent wire in one of the sensor leads.

How difficult was it to upgrade to the '91 system?

ABS light and not the brake light ? And it goes out ? Need to pull codes, procedure is in section 5E1 of the 90 FSM but is good to read the whole section on diagnostics. Keep in mind that the code diplayed may not point to the right place.

This is one of the signs of a frayed sensor cable particularly where it flexes inside the wheel well.

Another possibility is the ABS pressure switch is going bad.

Remove the connector on the pressure switch and look inside at the pin area. If you see even the tiniest drop of fluid near one of the pins, the switch is failing.

This morning I noticed that even though the ABS/Brake light goes out within 15 seconds after start when I slow down even for a speed bumb the ABS light comes on for about one-two seconds. I imagine this means it is time for a new accumulator (144,000 miles) Is Amazon still the best and how long would the job take me? Regular tools.:confused:

Thank's

Richard

Identical scenario occurred to me a short time ago. Start to slow down and the ABS light would flicker on for a second. I replaced the accumulator and no more ABS light.

Guest Richard D

Thank's to all, update, Today it is both the ABS and the red brake light. They stay on for less than two seconds even with brake still depressed. With engine off but in run when I step on brake pedal light (s) come on and pump runs for the one to two seconds until lights go off. I will check for codes on the ALDL before I buy an accumulator.

Best Regards,

Richard