Changing intake/exhaust manifold gaskets 1940 buick 60 Series?

Guest Csteve300

Guest Csteve300

I have a bad exhaust manifild gasket in the center t ports. I will need to replace the gaskets. Should I plan on repl;acing the rings between the manifold sections, or any other parts other than the gaskets(intake and exhaust)? Is any se sealant needed on the gaskert surfaces? Also if anyoibe has the correct pricedure for the job, I would apprecuiate it!

I plan on using a copper gasket.

Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

We didn't replace the rings on our 39 coupe, and I didn't on my old 39 Chevy. No sealant either. Just a good gasket set.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Csteve300
We didn't replace the rings on our 39 coupe, and I didn't on my old 39 Chevy. No sealant either. Just a good gasket set.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant! For clarificarion I was refering to the exhaust manifold rings that connect the three manifold parts not piston rings! Also is it possible to unbolt manifolds remove old gaskets and install new gaskets withjout removing manifold from exhaust pipe?

Guest Grant Magrath

Yep, I gathered that Steve. Those rings in the exhaust are the ones I meant! Probably my Kiwi accent! It's always good practise to change the "donut" between the manifold and exhaust when you do the manifold gaskets, and the sets quite often come with them anyway, but I have changed manifold gaskets with the exhaust still bolted up. It supports it when you pull the manifold back to fit the gaskets up. My 39 chevy had some wear on the head where the manifold bolts up, so I had to use 2 sets because the cheap crappy gaskets were too thin!

Cheers

Grant

• 3 months later...
Guest Csteve300

I bpught Copper c;ad gasketrs, had the manifold planed and replaced, l;asted about 50 miles! What went wrong? I canlt affors to keep having tyhese replaced! Leak same as original in center two exhaust ports top!

Guest Grant Magrath

Damn!

Sorry to hear that. Did you tighten the bolts again after taking the car for a spin? I assume the manifold surface is good. If re-tightening the bolts doesn't work, you could always use two gaskets like I did with my old Chevy. Still can't believe how thin they were!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Csteve300

Manifold was resurfaced so it should be OK. I did not retorque after the repair, however, I was planning to do so after a few more miles! These old cars sure are fun!

Guest Straight eight

Did they use a belt sander to true up the manifold, or did they set it up in a plane to true it up? A long belt can put an angle on the manifold, whereby planing makes it truly flat.

Also a slurry of graphite and motor oil covering both sides of the gasket when assembling helps the copper gasket to slip when expanding and contracting

Guest Csteve300
Did they use a belt sander to true up the manifold, or did they set it up in a plane to true it up? A long belt can put an angle on the manifold, whereby planing makes it truly flat.

Also a slurry of graphite and motor oil covering both sides of the gasket when assembling helps the copper gasket to slip when expanding and contracting

Yes they used belt sander. I was told that the nabifold was too long for the plane!